wireless internet

Have decided That as we have our own phone line. Will get it sorted and get ethernet cable connected. As thanks to these problems I can't visit this site much.
Thanks for all the advice.

JohnH":krjp9fkr said:
.....I don't know how easy it is to connect on a modern version of Windows (it used to be a complete b*stard with Win9:cool:, but with a Mac, you plug in the cable that connects to your router and in less than 10 seconds the Mac has made friends with the router, sorted out network IDs /IP addresses and given you internet access.

Pretty much the same on Vista and XP, assuming you have the LAN port enabled in the BIOS and have the correct driver in Windows.

Bizarrely, I managed to get a wireless signal on my boat the other day. It's currently at least half a mile from anyone's house!

tintin40":3gckwk0z said:
Virgin 10 mb this Friday :D I hope it's as good people say

downoaded a 2.4 gig size pc game demo this afternoon in just short of 27 minutes...very happy customer with virgin me.

gibbleking":r7w57lgk said:
tintin40":r7w57lgk said:
Virgin 10 mb this Friday :D I hope it's as good people say

downoaded a 2.4 gig size pc game demo this afternoon in just short of 27 minutes...very happy customer with virgin me.

a mate of mine lives in brum and is on the Virgin 50mb trial... makes me sick

My "broad"-band started off mediocre and has just got steadily worse. SpeedTest.net has measured my download speed at 0.13Mb/sec and upload speed at 0.37Mb/sec.

It got even worse than that, so I visited BT's own speed testing site. It basically confirmed that at 75kb/sec, my actual download speed was about 1.5 times the speed of dial-up (which has an actual maximum on UK phone lines of 48kb/sec) :shock:

3792949804_a2667373a4_o.jpg

i testted mine the other day and was pleased to see im getting what i paid for..maxed out at 10.1 meg speed...started off at 1 meg but over 3 years virgin have upgraded us free of charge as a loyal customer.

The speed test has completed on test server speedtester1.speedtester.bt.com for user 01489****** and you have downloaded a 1.7Mb file at a speed of

13kilo bits per second (Kbps), your service bandwidth will have been quoted to you in kilo bits per second.

Your IP address is 90.***.**.**, your browser is reported as being Mozilla 5.0 and is running on Windows XP.

BT would regard the speed ranges shown below as normal service:

For 250kbps End Users speeds between 50 - 250kbps.
For 500kbps End Users speeds between 100 - 500kbps.
For 1000kbps End Users speeds between 200 - 1000kbps.
For 2000kbps End Users speeds between 400 - 2000kbps.

whats this in english please?

Back