Winter Project #1: 1994 Specialized S-Works FSR

I have taken out all the bushings. I had to respray my main frame. Those bushings are not pressed in, but they are a tight fit. I used a flat rounded tool (like the backside of a drillbit) and a small (!) hammer. Did no damage to the bushings. But you have to be very careful and gentle. I have spare bushings, also. So I had no fear ;)

This is the bushing. It needs to come out ... Otherwise powder or paint is not possible.

Is that a hard no?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 936
Do you have a friendly engineering shop near you?
If I was to remove those bushes I would use a 2 size drift.
Get them to machine you a bit of solid rod with a slightly smaller "nose" that fits inside the bush with the sholder just big enough to cover the diameter of the bush, support the other side of the pivot with a socket or such like and tap the drift to push the bush out.
take the frame with you, they will understand what you want.
By using a drift with a nose to sit inside the bush, no damage should be done so they can be re used.

Niall.

Thanks guys :)

Off to our local bike nerd Mecca I go than.

Was hoping it be easier, but I want it done right.

Ah, those are fairly easy to remove. I used a philips head screwdriver roughly the same diameter as the bushing and pushed it out. Once you have the stays apart, there is similar bushing to remove using the same method. Then the last bushing, a top hat style, is much more difficult to remove.

Re:

I'm gonna play it safe and take it in to be looked at. Not sure if specialized still stocks parks for this :D

I don't think I need to remove the other bushings. I have them
Masked and just clean up the area after they are painted so they move freely.

Re:

Everything is apart now and it'll be in for a full powder coat at quys when the blizzard is done.

I am going to use velocals decal set for a full restore.

And ... Got the fork! It's got some wee decal marks on it but it's working better than anything else I have. Lucky ebay BIN :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 585

Latest posts

Back