Wine, especially at this time of your

My local shop has a barrell n u just take your jug, item carrier in ? All the spanish do here? So I assume its good?

Alison":1q1li4vc said:
What do go for?

The cheapest on the supermarket shelf, and supermarket's own Cava for that Champagne touch?

The best the supermarket has to offer as long as it's half price?

The best you can buy from a dedicated retailer of fine wines?

Me, I go for the best at the supermarket when it's half price, I like to feel I'm getting reasonable quality at a good price, but I know Jack shit about wine other than it's shite if it £2-3 :D

Alison

Personally, I wouldn't compare supermarket Cava to a decent brut Champagne. Most Cava will rip the stomach lining out of you.

The best supermarket has to offer as long as it's half price? ... depends on the grape/region you like. Tesco do a superb chateauneuf du pape if French red is your bag, but even at half price it's still not cheap. They also do a few decent bottles of St emilion, again that's is you like French red, which I do.

I think fine wine might be pushing out the boat a bit & I certainly don't want to acquire a taste for it, as I can't afford it.

On a final note, I'm not a wine snob to which it's easy to put someone in that bracket, but I'll tell you now, if you buy better quality wine, you won't go back to what you were drinking before :)

Just my tuppenceworth!

^^^^ oooowww might have to start tryin this cava bubble stuff now haha.....
Only jesting will use this information wisely so what would anyone suggest? It's all red mostly here? And seeing as it's Xmas wouldn't mind treating my lady to some bubbles as she loves Champagne. Find a Aldi and it will it do?

Red- flat, warm and minging.
White- cold, vinegary and minging.
Champagne etc- the bubbles make it slightly less minging but only if it's free. For bubbles why drink anything but Coke?

I'm not a fan. Plus it's a birds drink anyway.

technodup":3m2zl8ff said:
Red- flat, warm and minging.
White- cold, vinegary and minging.
Champagne etc- the bubbles make it slightly less minging but only if it's free. For bubbles why drink anything but Coke?

I'm not a fan. Plus it's a birds drink anyway.

:LOL: :LOL: what about buckfast? Glasgow/Blackpool special!

Bpool77":2iq3vny7 said:
^^^^ oooowww might have to start tryin this cava bubble stuff now haha.....
Only jesting will use this information wisely so what would anyone suggest? It's all red mostly here? And seeing as it's Xmas wouldn't mind treating my lady to some bubbles as she loves Champagne. Find a Aldi and it will it do?

Bpool77, Hi,
The best Champagne for the money IMO would be Piper Heidsieck red label or a good Moët & Chandon, but not cheap at all. An alternative for a good sparkling wine for around a tenner, try Jacob’s Creek Chardonnay Pinot Noir Brut Cuvée, or they do a sparkling rosé equivalent, which is excellent. Make sure you get bubbly VERY cold before opening it :)

Alison":2nqkubaw said:
What do go for?

The cheapest on the supermarket shelf, and supermarket's own Cava for that Champagne touch?

If you're sticking to a tight seasonal food & drink budget, a cheapish Cava over a cheapish Champagne every time, although as others have said, cheap Prosecco is a good choice too.

David

highlandsflyer":2kdqvfed said:
Some of my favourite wines are Bulgarian.

Morrisons used to do some excellent cheap-as-chips Bulgarian reds, but they seem to have disappeared from the shelves in recent years.

David

Alison":3822hc1l said:
There was a chap that used to write a book reviewing supermarket wine each year, it was great as it told you what cheaper wines were drinkable. Never did £2-3 bottles get s good review but there were some good £4-5 ones.

I know the book you mean - it was by one of the Sunday supplement wine writers. Matthew Jukes maybe?

David

Just searched it was Malcolm Gluck, used to be able to buy the book in Morrison's BITD

Alison

Back