Wife Bike - finished!

Re: Project Bike Number 2!!

It's been quite a while since I last posted on her for the Mrs bike. The builds still been moving along nicely and picked up a few new parts as well as fitting other bits I had around.

Hers's the latest:

Found a USE Alien seat post and Specialized Riva saddle. Also broke down the XT leavers and gave them a good clean and grease up.

Currently gone with the XT rear mech but think I do have a XTR one lying around which might make it on. I've fitted the SLX shifters for the moment but after having the Missus trying it out to see the fit it seems a little low so I've swapped the Spech stem and Ritchey bar over for a RaceFace set.

Just really now to put all the bits in and set it all up, fingers crossed I might have it finished this weekend!

Hopefully it's starting to look the part???

Attachments

• $_57.JPG
    $_57.JPG
    108.1 KB · Views: 683
  • IMG_0576.JPG
    IMG_0576.JPG
    209.1 KB · Views: 683
  • IMG_0532.JPG
    IMG_0532.JPG
    98.2 KB · Views: 683
  • IMG_1313.JPG
    IMG_1313.JPG
    193.1 KB · Views: 683
Re:

So, in between finishing my own bike and buying a new one, the wife project bike is finished!

Even managed to get her out for a maiden ride. Hope it does the job and get's her into cycling full time.

Spec:

Frame: Specialized Rockhopper, Ritchey Nitanium 13"
Fork: Marzocchi Bomber Z3

Headset: Specialized Aheadset
Stem: RaceFace Evolve, Carbon spacers
Handlebar: RaceFace Deus
Grips: Foam - LARGE!!
End caps - ODI
Brakes: Dia-Compe VC-767 brakes
Brake Pads: Kool stop from, XTR rear
Brake Cables:SLR
Brake Levers: XT

Shifters: SLX 9sp
Front Derailleur: STX RC
Rear Derailleur: XTR
Derailleur Cables: SLR
Cassette: SLX
Chain: SLX
Cranks: Sugino 'strongarm'
Bottom Bracket: Shimano
Pedals: Wellgo flats
Hub Skewers: Shimano deore
Rims: Mavic Crossride front, Alex rear
Hubs: Mavic Crossride front, Deore rear
Tyres: Specialized crossroads
Tubes: Specialized
Saddle: Specialized Riva - Ladies
Seatpost: USE Alien Carbon with spacer

Weight: God knows!

Cheers,
James.

Attachments

• IMG_2398.JPG
    IMG_2398.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 641
  • IMG_2437.JPG
    IMG_2437.JPG
    224.3 KB · Views: 641
Re:

Congratulations on the bike, looks very nice!

If your wife is anything like mine, she won't care if the bike has XTR or Alivio, hydraulic or cantilever brakes. The most important factors to get her to look forward to riding the bike will be:

-comfortable position: your bike, with its big slooping tube and handlebar at same or slightly above saddle height, looks like it will achieve that. If that were not the case, a higher stem (or bigger rise bar) will do the job. A shorter stem is always welcome for the shorter arms of female riders.
-perfect set up: my wife always demands her bike to have perfect braking and crisp shifting. She is way less forgiving than me if gears don't shift cleanly or brakes are a bit sloppy. Do maintenance runs before she even complains to keep the bike always top notch.
-women are usually way more practical than us, and are not so impressed by looks but by usability. Have handy some clip-on mudguards as she will prefer to remain dry on a muddy day than "ruining the looks" of the bike. Bar ends to change hand position on longer rides will also be appreciated.

Enjoy!

Re: Re:

Titiritero":3tszonky said:
...she won't care if the bike has XTR or Alivio, hydraulic or cantilever brakes...

...demands her bike to have perfect braking and crisp shifting...

...handy some clip-on mudguards as she will prefer to remain dry on a muddy day...

...Bar ends to change hand position on longer rides will also be appreciated...

So true.

My other halfs favourite bits on her bike are the bar-ends and the rear mudguard :) she also regularly moans about the gears and brakes! I've told her she needs to support her LBS if she wants those set up perfect - too much responsibility for me ;)

Re: Re:

TonyMerryfield":b2hrzs37 said:
Titiritero":b2hrzs37 said:
...she won't care if the bike has XTR or Alivio, hydraulic or cantilever brakes...

...demands her bike to have perfect braking and crisp shifting...

...handy some clip-on mudguards as she will prefer to remain dry on a muddy day...

...Bar ends to change hand position on longer rides will also be appreciated...

So true.

My other halfs favourite bits on her bike are the bar-ends and the rear mudguard :) she also regularly moans about the gears and brakes! I've told her she needs to support her LBS if she wants those set up perfect - too much responsibility for me ;)

Thanks, guy's. Really appreciate the comments.
You couldn't be more right, in building the bike up I originally had a longer stem and straight bar which after just trying it for size, the Mrs felt uncomfortable. This also applied to the grips, with a change from the Spesh ones to the large foam ones now on.

Agree with your point to Titiritero about the mudguards, might be a good investment to get her out on it more often!

Re:

Funny. Those cranks look exactly like the stock SPECIALIZED BRAND "STRONGARM" My cousin has that bike in complete original condition. Sorry we upgrade the fork to a 2001 Judy XC.

Re:

And if she doesn't, I'll take it off your hands. my partner is also "diminutive" and i'm just down the road in rossendale.

Back