Why does tyre sealant cost $40 a litre?🤔

i run Orange Seal in most of my modern bikes, i tend to set up on their black label stuff, it's quite thick, leaves a skin inside the tyre, lasts about 3 months, at which point i put the Endurance version in, which lasts about 6 months, so i top up about twice a year, not too bad and a £22 bottle every 6 months will do 4 wheels, but in truth i steal it off myself at work, so it costs me nothing, perks of owning a shop!! ;)

while Stans is the market leader, i find it dries out quite quickly, Muc-off, i stock it but i don't like it, and when a certain pro rider came in the shop last october, he's now a commentater, bit of a posh boy, likes bromptons and clothing, that should be enough of a clue, he was sponsored by muc-off, he was unaware that it is only rated to 70psi, and he rides road at much higher pressures than that, it had failed, although his "pro" mechanic had done a piss poor job of fitting the tape.

i am a convert to tubeless, overall i think it's great, i don't carry a spare tube now unless i'm in the Alps or Wales and that's a real "just in case", i have never had to use the tube, i have plugged tyres a couple of times, but never resorted to a tube fitting ever, never had a ride completely stop and had to make a phone call, it's only ever been a squirt of latex and all good.

Current update (last 12 months):

- Modern 29er running tubeless: zero punctures, due for new sealant next month
- The 26er retro fleet and road bikes: 10 punctures and a ton of swearing 🤣

Current update (last 12 months):

- Modern 29er running tubeless: zero punctures, due for new sealant next month
- The 26er retro fleet and road bikes: 10 punctures and a ton of swearing 🤣

I should imagine the newer tyres are a lot more puncture resistant than older style tyres. I think they play a huge part in puncture prevention.

Friend still running tubes and stop flat strips, with decent tyres, not 1 puncture since the 90's.

@synchronicity i just don't think it works as well as Orange Seal, people ask for it so i sell it to them but i know what i prefer, seem to need more of it in there as well. a friend had to put a bucket of the stuff in there a while ago to get a modern Onza tyre to seal, maybe it was the tyre, he did the tape in the shop, so i knew that was fine, he was using a muc off valve, just kept going down, eventually held air.

I should imagine the newer tyres are a lot more puncture resistant than older style tyres. I think they play a huge part in puncture prevention.

Friend still running tubes and stop flat strips, with decent tyres, not 1 puncture since the 90's.

I'm running brand new reissued Smoke and Darts, no old rubber ;)

Back