Why does my old bike feel so slow?

Chain and chainrings look fine and it will be very unlikely that these are at fault. *Peugoet where using the then 'new' narrow chains at the time so there is nothing new.

A few basics first

Put the bike in the a stand and go through the gears and let it freewheel in the stand, or even upside down on the grass the old fashioned way.

If it goes through the gears without issue, they're very likely to be fine but while you are here, check that the jockey wheels move freely

Next check for any stiff links in the chain

And while the wheel is spinning check that wheel actually spins ok and that nothing has tightened up the bearings too much as it turns.

Make sure the tyre doesnt rub.

Makes sure the front wheel moves freely

Next, check the headset moves freely and isnt notchy

Check the tyres are well pumped!

Just bear in mind that these are very basic steel frames and are not meant to set the world on fire, they have their fans but were always at the bottom of the Peugeot range.

Their ride can be a bit lifeless given the tubing material

* a friend wanted to change his Vittoria tyres for Panaracer and found the the Vittorias rolled much better so decided to leave the panaracers as spares.

legrandefromage":2in3n232 said:
Chain and chainrings look fine and it will be very unlikely that these are at fault. *Peugoet where using the then 'new' narrow chains at the time so there is nothing new.

A few basics first

Put the bike in the a stand and go through the gears and let it freewheel in the stand, or even upside down on the grass the old fashioned way.

If it goes through the gears without issue, they're very likely to be fine but while you are here, check that the jockey wheels move freely

Next check for any stiff links in the chain

And while the wheel is spinning check that wheel actually spins ok and that nothing has tightened up the bearings too much as it turns.

Make sure the tyre doesnt rub.

Makes sure the front wheel moves freely

Next, check the headset moves freely and isnt notchy

Check the tyres are well pumped!

Just bear in mind that these are very basic steel frames and are not meant to set the world on fire, they have their fans but were always at the bottom of the Peugeot range.

Their ride can be a bit lifeless given the tubing material

* a friend wanted to change his Vittoria tyres for Panaracer and found the the Vittorias rolled much better so decided to leave the panaracers as spares.

Thanks for the list. Very useful.

The chain definitely doesn't agree well with the chainrings. I will try to find a way to take a picture that shows it tomorrow.

Interesting observation about the Vittoria vs Panaracer.

I refurbished the derailleur today, anticipating your suggestion of checking the jockey. They were indeed a bit stiff, especially the lower one. I haven't tried the bike since, but I don't expect much to have changed.

The headset is a bit notchy, it needs some attention, but I figured that unless I manage to find what else is wrong, there is no point in fixing it.

I will keep you updated.

Difficult one if you checked the obvious and could do fairly substantial comparison.

The headset can also effect the "feel" of a bikes responsiveness, so it may be worth checking along
with frame structural integrity.

I took the bike for a spin, but unfortunately the maintenance to the jockey wheels did nothing to improve the situation.

Once back at home I did something I've never done before, I held onto the rear derailleur arm while spinning the pedals.
I can clearly feel a vibration (going either direction), and if I spin the pedals slow enough, I can almost feel a click corresponding to the movement of each link.
The links themselves are free, so must be something else.

And I add: spinning the pedals backwards, there is clearly a lot of friction. It requires a considerable effort.
Without chain, the cranks spin freely and so does the freewheel, which again point to the chain being the "culprit".

Re:

My experience of bikes stopped in 1980, so I don't know about modern narrow chains, but is it possible you have a chain too narrow for the chainrings you have. The chainring could have spread the links so that they are now a bit tight?

Keith

Re:

The width of the chain is about 7.2mm, so it should be the right kind of chain.
I recall being advertised as a 6-7-8 speed chain on the box.

Anyway, I should have a new chain soon.

Latest posts

Back