Why does my old bike feel so slow?

Ugo51

Retro Guru
Hi guys,
Lots of time on my hands, so I ask myself this kind of seemingly futile questions.
I have a Peugeot Premiere (Carbolite frame) which I've been using for over a year to commute to and from work.
Over time I've done some upgrades, but it feels slower than before, like constantly battling with headwind.
I changed the steel wheels with alloy one (I built them myself, using the original Maillard hubs), I replaced the freewheel and the chain (I kept the old chainrings) and swapped the BB with a sealed Shimano UN55 unit.
I still feel a lot of drag, even on flat roads at constant speed.
What could it be? The hubs spin very smoothly. Could it be the chainset?
I noticed today the rear derailleur arm is not perfectly straight. I will try to fix it/replace it, but can I really expect it to add a lot of drag?
I don't expect it to ever be a fast bike, but I'm baffled by how much effort it requires even to keep constant speed. Somehow I feel it's slower than it's ever been, but I can't get why...

Any ideas?

Re:

Daft question, but have you recently started using panniers. They don't half create a drag. I once put panniers on a commute bike and couldn't believe how much difference it made. Felt like a parachute brake

My first thought would be wheels/tyres. Does the bike slow down quickly when coasting or is the drag all the time, even when pedaling?

Shit tyres and tubes?
IIRC the difference between the very best and very worst combinations of tyres and tubes is something like 40 watts, even when at correct/good pressures. Which seeing as an average club cyclist can only sustain in the 175-200 watts region, is a lot. (obviously subject to speed changes etc etc blahblah.)

Thanks for the replies.

- No, I don't use panniers. Never have, although at one point I will, because I m tired of carrying a backpack

- The bike seems OK when coasting. I tried to measure myself also against other cyclists (not very reliable, I know) and I've never had the impression of the bike to grind to a halt.

- I use Panaracer Pasela 28c. I have no idea whether they are good or not, but I've never had any other tires and I have recently replaced them with new ones (same size) so it should not make a difference.

Update: I tried my other oldER peugeout. It's a touring model, same frame, different rear triangle. It's at least 2kg heavier (steel wheels, steel mudguards) and has a busted BB.
It FLIES.
The difference in effort is so evident that the only comparison I can come up with is to pedaling on tarmac vs sand.
I'm baffled.
I will now try to swap the wheels.
Don't know what else it could be! :O

Re:

I'll post them soon.
Just out of curiosity, or is there something in specific you'd like to see?

Re:

I tried doing the easiest/most obvious thing: swap the wheels.
It makes a difference, but not enough to be the sole element....

I presume the chainset/cranks spin freely? Ditto pedals? Jockey wheels on mech? Rear wheel not dragging on frame/mudguards/brakes?

Back