Who built John Fern frames?

Just checked the BB again. seems to be a 6 at the end, the light in my living room isn't very bright so didn't spot it last night. So should read 850426, I'll upload a picture if I can catch it in the light.

EDIT: Here is a picture taken in my bathroom as it has a nice bright light.
lbfCeWt.jpg

As I said, it's being stripped, cleaned and polished today after I pop out on it so I'll have a look at the steerer as well.

Re:

If it’s got a 6 at the end, it would be the 26th frame of the month, which is not impossible. Only doubt could be whether the month, if a single digit ie before October ‘10’ was written with a zero in front eg 04 ‘april’ which seems inconsistent. The frame numbers quoted there include UK frames, not just export.

Re: Re:

MatBH5":usstsjfq said:
If it’s got a 6 at the end, it would be the 26th frame of the month, which is not impossible. Only doubt could be whether the month, if a single digit ie before October ‘10’ was written with a zero in front eg 04 ‘april’ which seems inconsistent. The frame numbers quoted there include UK frames, not just export.
Uploaded a cleanish pic.

More digging...

The seat tube thickness at the top is 0.71-0.76mm depending on the paint where I measure. From what I can see the only tubing with 0.7mm seat tube is 653 and 753, any way to tell the difference?

Reynolds-tubing-sizes.jpg

I'm about to head out for a 5mile shakedown, I'll strip the frame and weigh it when I get home. Wife at work, Son at school, perfect way to spend my day off.

The seat tube thickness at the top is 0.71-0.76mm depending on the paint where I measure. From what I can see the only tubing with 0.7mm seat tube is 653 and 753, any way to tell the difference?
I believe that 753 had to be silver soldered rather than brass fillet brazed, so that might be one way to tell?

I'm here because I knew John Fern back in the day as I grew up in Coalville. Bought my first 'mountain' bike from him, which was basically an adapted beach cruiser 🤣

Also, my dad designed his frame transfers, and I really need to ask him if he still has the designs…

Latest posts

Back