Which Orange?

Prestige is just the name of the tubing. It doesn't tell you anything about the tube diameters and wall thicknesses chosen by the designer :)

I would bet a lot of money on that being a Clockwork...

Just have a feeling. Prestige frames are muy rare now anyway.

Prestige

Neil G":2ok13mpc said:
OrangeRetro":2ok13mpc said:
Ahem... Its a clockwork frame.. The prestige was a purple silver fade and the P7 was never done it the colour scheme. The real give away... the 'C' on the headtube badge! ;)

As for the weight issue... Its a big frame, even if it were a prestige it would hold 15 stone. Blimey, orange didn't sell prestiges with a warning BITD. Just build it up, get out and ride it!

Hope this helps!

Agree, probably stronger than a lot of alloy frames kicking around now

What about all the presige frames around now i.e Charge....they're made from Prestige and I don't think they've had a single one back

Yes but this was the very thin road diameter Prestige, not the fat stuff Charge bikes are made from. The sales literature did have a weight warning on it at the time, I remember it well!.

Re: Prestige

Wold Ranger":13sbtqi2 said:
Yes but this was the very thin road diameter Prestige, not the fat stuff Charge bikes are made from. The sales literature did have a weight warning on it at the time, I remember it well!.
I think we've established that this isn't a Prestige anyway, but I don't think that owners of Prestige frames should be worried as you're suggesting they should be.

I don't have a photo of a seat tube decal on a Prestige, but I'm pretty sure that they had the Ultimate Superlight MTB decal. In any case, you can see the difference visually. The road tubeset had a 25.4 x 6-3-6 top tube and a 28.6 x 6-3-6 downtube. The MTB tubeset had a 28.6 or 31.8 x 8-5-8 top tube and a 31.8 or 34.9 x 8-5-8 downtube. You would spot it straight away if a MTB had a 25.4 top tube and 28.6 down tube. No Orange Prestige that I've ever seen had tubes as skinny as that. It wouldn't be stiff enough for mtb purposes anyway, irrespective of whether it was strong enough.

And I don't think anybody need be concerned about Superlight MTB either. 8-5-8 isn't all that thin for a heat-treated tube. My Kilauea has a 7-4-7 Columbus Cyber top tube and they made them with that tube in all sizes, including the largest sizes which would be expected to have 15st riders.

to add another 2p to you 2p here's my never used '94 clockwork that I sold last year:

pbpic2199183.jpg

with the purple decals

dont worry if its a prestige wold is always a scare monger of doom :LOL: :LOL: i used mine for every thing before i sold it including trials just cos i can as fast as i could and as hard as i could ask mad cow kev about the beast at thetford with a tail whip or two from me it'll take it ps it looks like a clockwork :cool: :cool:

Back