Which Orange?

OrangeRetro":r5h1bqo3 said:
Ahem... Its a clockwork frame.. The prestige was a purple silver fade and the P7 was never done it the colour scheme. The real give away... the 'C' on the headtube badge! ;)

As for the weight issue... Its a big frame, even if it were a prestige it would hold 15 stone. Blimey, orange didn't sell prestiges with a warning BITD. Just build it up, get out and ride it!

Hope this helps!

I would never trust decals unless you know they are original though.

Original owner thought it was Clockworks, buy clockwork decal, sticks it on...

I'm not saying either way as the frames are after my day with O's

OrangeRetro":2cq0x2tc said:
Ahem... Its a clockwork frame.. The prestige was a purple silver fade and the P7 was never done it the colour scheme. The real give away... the 'C' on the headtube badge! ;)

As for the weight issue... Its a big frame, even if it were a prestige it would hold 15 stone. Blimey, orange didn't sell prestiges with a warning BITD. Just build it up, get out and ride it!

Hope this helps!

See, told you it could be difficult to tell unless you 'know'. (Never spotted the 'C' on the head tube! :roll: Doh!)
That rear cable stop was what confused the hell out of me, 'cos they swapped to a simpler one for the Clockwork around '93ish and the P7 never had rack mounts on the wishbone.

P7

Just to confuse issues, I had a P7 in metallic blue, with rack mounts on the wishbone and a very crude IS disc mount too! Others bought same time just had brake bosses. I believe you could spec all sorts of custom options pre order, can do even now. Only way is to weigh it as I keep saying! :)

FluffyChicken":1fk81h0w said:
OrangeRetro":1fk81h0w said:

Hope this helps!

I would never trust decals unless you know they are original though.

Original owner thought it was Clockworks, buy clockwork decal, sticks it on...

I'm not saying either way as the frames are after my day with O's

All of the other decals are original so I would confidently say the the headtube badge is as well. The canti wishbone hanger got me thinking as well, but I reckon there were probably quite a few little variations during that period. It was around the time that they were changing from using tange infinity to series 7 tubes so I can imagine that they were experimenting with different things.

It looks to me like the 93/4 colour scheme used on the Clockwork, I’ve only seen a purple version on the Prestige.

I'm confused though because I thought we had established in an earlier thread that the lack of a chainstay bridge was proof of it being a Prestige? On the other hand, the Prestige had external butting/sleeve at the top of the seat tube.

So have i definately got a Clockwork and i can i ride it or what, yours even more confused Chris. :LOL: :LOL:

Meant to say, all clockworks i have seen have the crossbar and downtube meeting at the head tube is that just size specific? Started building it today seeing as i cant ride due to torn ankle ligament :cry: :cry:

Attachments

• ABCD0010.JPG
    ABCD0010.JPG
    69.6 KB · Views: 732
Build looks good and honestly, it's gonna ride well which ever frame it is so I wouldn't be too concerned either way.

A lot of the problems with IDing older frames are down to Orange being a bit random about detailing, I mean; by the time the Clockwork became the C16 there had been 15 previous variations in the frame design in a little over five years. :shock: :D

Add to that the tendency for folks to decal up any Orange frame as a Clockwork when they had them resprayed and that Orange would do custom paint colours on request just makes it even more fun.

OrangeRetro":xr2rb2p8 said:

Hope this helps!

Agree, probably stronger than a lot of alloy frames kicking around now

What about all the presige frames around now i.e Charge....they're made from Prestige and I don't think they've had a single one back

Latest posts

Back