Which bar tape

I still swear by black or white Tressorex cloth bar tape... gives an authentic retro look.

So what bar-tape is really good ?
I have run cinelli cork-ribbon for years and once it's on it's really nice IMO.
But it has it's drawbacks as you said:
- The backing tape (thin tape which protects the glue) is almost impossible to get off.
- Tears easily (I have not had that problem much though).
- If you have to unwrap because you come up short the glue will rip the tape underneath.

Panza":3deolffx said:
So what bar-tape is really good ?
I have run cinelli cork-ribbon for years and once it's on it's really nice IMO.
But it has it's drawbacks as you said:
- The backing tape (thin tape which protects the glue) is almost impossible to get off.
- Tears easily (I have not had that problem much though).
- If you have to unwrap because you come up short the glue will rip the tape underneath.

that is exactly what i found. it may just be me being picky but i have not had this problem before with other tapes and have always been able to unwrap if i need to. once i rewrapped it it did look ok tbh but my first thought was it was poor that it did that. The ripping during wrapping may have just been me being over forceful but i am used to getting the bar tape nice and tight as i wrap it.

it does look ok now it's on and feels nice and comfy so i will see how it lasts

I bought both the tapes suggested by Dale cannon, and did a quick test wrap with the Shimano tape today.

It looks good, wraps well and does not have an adhesive backing. Just the job.

If you go for a gel or cushion tape and use a figure of 8 around the brake it will cause problems. The figure of 8 used to be used for plastic or cloth tapes. With gel or cushion you cut 2 x 50mm lengths and put one strip vertically either side of the brake. When you wrap the tape working outwards from the bar, you go under the brake lever, round and over the brake lever, and then continue. That will prevent it becoming to thick with layers around the lever.

Robbied; much as though I respect you as a far more experienced retro roadie than myself, and much as though I have admired every build of yours that I have seen, I don't like that method of making a figure of eight.

It is easy to make a neat figure of eight, but it's a bit like tying your shoe laces, until you've done it enough times to make it second nature, it continues to be a puzzle every time.

When I have wrapped the bars to my satisfaction, I will photo them.

I wrapped the bars on my Cannondale today with the Pro tape and found it very good, I undid and wrapped both sides twice to get it to a standard that I was (kind of) happy with.

Struggled to get the bar plugs to sit fully home though if anyone has a tip for this?

Back