Which automatic retro car?

Re: Re:

legrandefromage":315ug83z said:
RadNomad":315ug83z said:
Where cars are concerned, the words 'automatic' and 'retro' are generally not a great combination. Ageing auto transmissions are just waiting to drain your wallet.
I would say the opposite but there you go.
depends how retro. Anything hydraulic, in-line and mild electrical with bog standard ATF will be fine (3/4 speed). Easy to repair and fairly reliable. Any of the early electro- hydraulic ones or using funky friction modifying hydraulic fluids. Steer well clear. (5/6/7/8 speed) They don't go wrong as often, but when they do it's eye watering.

had a g reg toyota celica 2.0gt- very big load capacity - lift tailgate chuck in bike. ultra reliable - and 35mpg . only got rid of it because of rust. If i found one that wasn't rusty i'd be tempted if it was a good price

mattr said:
On the...ford underpinnings.
X type had a modified Mondeo platform.

The above is partly correct as mentioned in my post - the X-Type shared a platform with the 1993-2007 Mondeo, the petrol X-Type used a version of the Ford Duratec unit, diesel X-Type used the Ford Duratorque unit.

The S-Type shared a platform with the Lincoln LS and the Thunderbird. Your comment about Ford engines is ill-informed, Jaguar only developed one engine for the S-Type and that was the V8 (manufactured at Ford's plant in Bridgend). The diesel S-Type used the well proven 2.7 litre (Lion) unit developed by Ford and built at Dagenham (used also by PSA). The petrol V6 used was Ford's Duratec, another well-proven unit good enough to be used by Aston Martin as a V12.

Rk.

My neighbours have just dropped a wad of cash on a RR Sport V6 diesel. the 3.0 version.

They part x'd their Discovery Sport for it with its factory fitted cracked glass roof and equally cracked 2 year old Continentals.

And here I am scrabbling around trying to flog bits to purchase a set of discounted road wheels for my road bike...

Re:

Still working on it, but I have a 1962 Jag 3.8 Mk. 11 Automatic-pretty retro-with a Corvette engine and 2 speed Powerglide automatic-hoping to finish it by the end of next winter. Being a California car all it's life, it has no rust anywhere... :)

highlandsflyer":2durn0vr said:
Being a Cali car, you might have to mothball it once you finish it!
I'm going to lower it and then drive the crap out of it! I love sleeper cars, this one is similar to my '59 Mercedes 220s that I had in the '80's. It also had a Corvette engine and power glide trans. I surprised the heck out of some guys in their "fast" cars with that one, and this one is going to be quicker still...

Back