Mislaid my skills and Lost my bottle, where did I put them???

velomaniac

MacRetro Rider
We as a retro biking community are in some part getting on a bit. We might not ride as often as we did or even at all. Some are still good riders or possess some skill. Others and I include myself are not practicing enough, getting rusty and even losing our nerve.
Today as I was feeling a wee bit energetic, a rare thing these days, I took my steed out to my local waste ground to practice something that's really letting me down these days. I no longer seem to be able to easily jump my front wheel over stuff, up lips etc. Partially I am very unfit and I am a wee bit feared of stuffing it and crashing, I don't bounce like I used to🙄
So I read up on the skill, looked at a few helpful vids and went out to practice. Never as easy as it looks I think my skills only improved sufficiently to jump a snail, my inner Buddhist hates squishing them. So maybe I am going too slow, let's up the speed and hit a 3/4 buried brick to act as a kicker, surely I might clear a Tortoise.
Aaaaarrrrrggggg KRUNCH........ tinkle..... tinkle......
Typical from barely able to lift wheel to full wheelie and over backwards, no nice intermediate perfection for me.
Lesson learned, practice, practice, practice as for me at least skills do not become ingrained.
Other lesson, old guys need armour, not bruises and gravel rash😂
So....
Who of you has still got it
or
Who has lost it
or
Never had it to begin with
and
Any suggestions where I put mine, I have looked down the back of the sofa, nothing🤔

They say you never forget how to ride a bike. But yeah, as far as not bouncing as good as we used to, i do have other things i like to do that stops me pushing as hard as i used to 40yrs ago as it takes up too much time healing these days :confused: 🤣

Reactions: hud
I took my Yeti to the Malverns last weekend, and keen on sharing some of the fun, decided to enter the downhill event at the last minute. Bought myself a full face helmet from one of the stalls and entered myself for the event.
Most entrants had downhill gear on, My only protection was factor 50 as it was a hot day.

Last time I did a downhill was c1993 in PORCS.
I was nervous especially given the age and modern bikes that the others were using.

My practice run felt fine but I didn’t realise just how bumpy the grassy hill was and consequently just how hopeless my bike felt. The Manitou 1 forks were giving their full half inch or so of travel and I felt like I was flying down there.

The video evidence suggests I wasn't. And I spectacularly fell off in the undulating ground and injured my ribs. Just got up and carried on but still in a bit of pain now.

My timed run was better, I stayed on but never received a time. Not sure why. My second timed run I decided not to go ahead.
Walking up the hill to the start line, a teenager said to me I must have a deathwish using SPD shoes/pedals. I don’t know any different but decided that one accident was enough for the weekend and went to watch my children in their events.

I now know why older people are less keen on this sort of activity. And also can see te attraction of a newer bike

Slow and steady extends the race. My days of chucking bikes about are largely over. It’s not a bad thing. Just inevitable given slow recovery rates, lack of time to ride regularly, medication, stents, wanting to endure.

Stop. Take in the view. Walk up, ride around, walk down, look after yourself. Build confidence in your new self.

Most of all, accept. It’s all good.

Oh and get a few dogs.

I took my Yeti to the Malverns last weekend, and keen on sharing some of the fun, decided to enter the downhill event at the last minute. Bought myself a full face helmet from one of the stalls and entered myself for the event.
Most entrants had downhill gear on, My only protection was factor 50 as it was a hot day.

Last time I did a downhill was c1993 in PORCS.
I was nervous especially given the age and modern bikes that the others were using.

My practice run felt fine but I didn’t realise just how bumpy the grassy hill was and consequently just how hopeless my bike felt. The Manitou 1 forks were giving their full half inch or so of travel and I felt like I was flying down there.

The video evidence suggests I wasn't. And I spectacularly fell off in the undulating ground and injured my ribs. Just got up and carried on but still in a bit of pain now.

My timed run was better, I stayed on but never received a time. Not sure why. My second timed run I decided not to go ahead.
Walking up the hill to the start line, a teenager said to me I must have a deathwish using SPD shoes/pedals. I don’t know any different but decided that one accident was enough for the weekend and went to watch my children in their events.

I now know why older people are less keen on this sort of activity. And also can see te attraction of a newer bike
I wouldn't feel bad about using SPD's, pretty much all Pro downhillers use them.
I lost my nerve a long time ago, after taking a year off through injury I returned to race a downhill event at kielder forest in about 1998? I think, and realised that I had something that I didn't have before, fear. It was a strange sensation. I try to fight against it even now, but it's never left me really and every little crash I have now, hurts for a very long time. I know I can still ride as well as I could, but slower, because fear slows you down.

One thing I found improved my confidence massively on the tricky stuff is a dropper post. For us tall guys it makes so much sense.

What can I say? 61 in two weeks, ex 90's racing snake.
Laid up with a busted leg..........which would not be so bad, but they have set it way off . My foot is 20°out....May be my riding days are over unless I can get it 're broken and 're set correctly.

Yeh, we don't bounce so well anymore . Take care in the woods...;)

TB

You’ll be fine, my feet haven’t pointed the same way since I was 15 following a broken ankle, just remember you need to position each foot differently!
What can I say? 61 in two weeks, ex 90's racing snake.
Laid up with a busted leg..........which would not be so bad, but they have set it way off . My foot is 20°out....May be my riding days are over unless I can get it 're broken and 're set correctly.

Yeh, we don't bounce so well anymore . Take care in the woods...;)

TB

Latest posts

Back