Wheely good advice (Kona Hahanna)

Re:

ishaw":3enz2a8s said:
Shame, as they are good wheels....
...A quick Google finds a few shops that look older and may be candidates for older parts. Might be worth a few calls if you want to use the wheels.

If I was still in the UK I'd give that a go but too much hassle from here in Finland...plus...

xerxes":3enz2a8s said:
If the hubs are OK, how about just replacing the rims?

...I've never built my own wheels before so I'd have to pay a shop here to do it = tres expensive :shock:

Re:

I've never built a wheel either, but I'm not bad at truing them, so I've always wanted to give it a go.

Also, if you find a new set of rims with a similar ERD (Effective Rim Diameter), or get the same make and model rim as the old one, so you can re-use the old spokes, it simplifies it further. You can tape, or zip tie the new rim to the old one, then losen all the spokes, then move the spokes over to the new rim one at a time, that way you don't have to worry about the lacing pattern etc., it will be identical to the old wheel. Then, remove the old rim, tension the spokes and true the wheel with the new rim.

If you make a complete horlicks of the truing, you could take it to a shop to have it tensioned and trued, it will likely be cheaper than having them do the whole operation.

057.jpg

Re:

I've never built a wheel either, but I'm not bad at truing them, so I've always wanted to give it a go.

Ditto - same here. Thanks for the link, I'll check it out. The spoke pattern on the wheels are pretty interesting actually. I'll post some pics tonight. They're straight-pull as well, being Mavic hubs. I'm not sure, but I think that complicates things.

Any views on the links for new ones I posted? I'd also consider a pair of used wheels on here, if in top condition.

Re:

Any views on the links for new ones I posted?

Of the two sets, I think the SJS pair, with the Deore LX hubs, look better.

My top tip: If you buy a set of wheels, or hubs for that matter, with cup and cone bearings, check they have plenty of grease in them and adjust the bearings properly. From the factory, they're often very poorly set up, the bearing are nearly always too tight, or have a minimal amount of grease in them which will lead to premature wear.

Remember, when you adjust the bearings to leave a tiny bit of play when the wheels are not in the frame, when the quick release lever is tightened it will compress the axle slightly and take up the slack. If you ajust the bearings so that they are perfect when out of the frame, they'll be a bit tight when the quick release is tightened: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/cone-adjustment.html

Re:

Thanks for the advice, good to know. My preferred pair are the SJS as well and I've had good service from them in the past.

It's one of the worst things about riding retro now finding quality wheels and rims there getting expensive if your buying new was just thinking of asking the same question

Re:

Wheels, tyres (and new brake pads) all fitted now. Really happy with my choices! Especially like the XT hubs in silver matching the Kona decal on the downtube ;) The Paselas (26x1.5) look good with the black rims as well :) Think the old Kona looks a bit like a Super (Tuff) Burner now :D Nice little homage to my BMX days (when I rode a Haro Sport ;) )

bH2YxEVh.jpg

ZavYaNml.jpg

VzMZsSSl.jpg

Happy cycling all!

Back