What's the Least Bad Helmet?

The History Man":1hz1qhem said:
torqueless":1hz1qhem said:
The History Man":1hz1qhem said:
Can somebody explain what this OP is about?
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... p;t=236596

Aha, human rights infringements! Just put a bloody helmet on! If that's the biggest thing you've got to worry/argue about lucky you.

(This minor rant is aimed not at any individual but merely represents the views of this attendee of a very pleasant road ride yesterday where common sense prevailed and who was blissfully unaware of any issues concerning the wearing or otherwise of protective headgear.)

Thank you for your insight. Please read the first line.

So, I think we have a vote for Bell. I quite like the Saxon job and it may even offer some level of protection but I'm not convinced about ventilation.

I was referring to the discussion contained in the link I was directed to. I had read the first line of your post but your mention of "dress code" left me curious hence my involvement in this thread. I stand by my view that anybody who has a problem with or considers a helmet to be a matter of sartorial consideration above that of safety really does need to alter their frame of reference.

I wear a giro and found that bell came up slightly larger if that helps.

Iwasgoodonce":2q0qm1p6 said:
Is there any we can get stock from the USA or Australia? The reason I ask is that even though the model of helmet may be the same, because the Europe/UK safety test is so slack, manufacturers cut costs and materials for the market here.

I was formerly the US importer for a top notch European helmet brand and I am comparatively well-informed about helmets and what you are saying is simply not true. The US, Australian and European standards are all different and nobody can make a general statement that one standard is better than another. They all favour different attributes. The American standard is designed for the type of accident that would more commonly occur to a child falling off a bike. The European standard more reminiscent of that which would occur to a racer falling. It is not such that all American approved helmets will pass the European standards or that all European standard helmets cannot pass the American standards. Indeed often the only difference between the two is the certification label.

From my point of view, your average cyclist is best served with a helmet that is well-ventilated and light-weight and passes one of the certification standards. Overheating while riding can frequently lead to the bonk or to poor decisions. Wearing a heavier helmet will accelerate your head more than a lighter helmet in the case of a fall. All helmets should shatter if the impact is great enough, this is precisely what they were designed to do.

IIRC the main (only?) difference between the US/EU versions of one major manufacturers helmets are the buckles and straps, as the EU straps/buckles don't meet some (fairly) arbitrary dimensional requirements of the US test standard.

mattr":98vj0et5 said:
IIRC the main (only?) difference between the US/EU versions of one major manufacturers helmets are the buckles and straps, as the EU straps/buckles don't meet some (fairly) arbitrary dimensional requirements of the US test standard.

The harness specifications are indeed one of the major differences. The american specs require something that results in a heavier helmet

I have a couple of hair net helmets sitting in the back of a cupboard if anyone wants one for a retro ride. No charge except postage.

argonsixar":1h1v7vi5 said:
I have a couple of hair net helmets sitting in the back of a cupboard if anyone wants one for a retro ride. No charge except postage.

Pm incoming

argonsixar":seamwy01 said:

I'm interested too!

Back