Scott CR1 restoration and build up

yoeddynz

Devout Dirtbag
My first road bike post on here :)

I have been fancying a posh road bike for some time now after selling on my 853 Fetch road bike a few years ago (Fetches were a very limited run of custom build road frames from the 90s by some fella called Andy who build some commonwealth bikes?)

Since moving back to NZ after 10 years spannering on bikes in Oxford shops I have mainly been using my 2009 Genesis Croix de fer cyclocross bike as my roadie. Suits me due to the abundance of gravel roads and suitable singletrack where we live.

But I wanted something lighter and stiffer for pure road rides. So I have been watching the various sites online. This CR1 pro frameset popped up on trademe for $80nzd buy now - cheap because it had a loose BB shell insert.

I bought it and had a friend bring it south when visiting for a classic car meet.

Pretty much my size and in otherwise fine condition.

I managed to free off the two BB insert halves spinning loose in the frame and clean them up in the lathe. Then I epoxied them back in place with my favourite JB weld, clamping them with a spare set of tiagra cranks so making sure the cups were aligned.

While this took place I kept a look out for a cheap road bike I could get all the parts from. Then I struck gold! A fella who lived about 60km from me was selling a smaller framed Scott Addict, the higher end one with the intergrated seatpost and complete with almost full Dura-ace groupset, Ultegra chainset, TRP calipers with Ti bolts, nice Sram wheels and some nice Orbea carbon bars. All for $500nzd start bid. I expected to be outbid but I think that a combination of his location plus a fairly basic advert meant no one else was interested. Bingo! I had my parts plus a posh frame I could sell on.

I stripped it down and sold the frameset on for $300. Then I began the painting of my CR1 frameset. I chose a colour not to dissimilar to my spare Hillman Imp car. A nice pastel green. I had a look in mind. Painted it with 2 pac paint and it went well- I was expecting the usual flies to land somewhere and get stuck but I was lucky this time.

I let the paint harden properly for a few days and in that time a nice carbon seatpost arrived in the mail from Ali-land. (the one thing I was missing since the addict had a integrated seatpost)

Now I had everything I needed I could start the build. Its been raining all day here today so this afternoon was spent in the comfort of the workshop, music blaring, as I tinkered away - taking my time to enjoy the process of building a minty fresh frameset.

Its turned out great and really looks spot on I think. I very happy with it...

Not a bad weight either!... (16lb in old money)

I added up the costs.

$80 frame

$500 Scott Addict bike,

$62 carbon seatpost,

$30 paint

Then sold Addict frameset for $300

Total bill comes to $372 for a top quality carbon frameset with an almost full Dura-ace groupset plus carbon bars/post/nice wheels. Bargain!

Next thing to sort is some stickers and bottle cages. I'm probably going to go for a suitable older style font similar to what the lemonds had.

Hopefully the weather clears tomorrow so I can head out for a hoon - maybe knock out a few hillclimb PBs on Strava ! Its a decent amount lighter than the steel CDF and a fair bit more stiffer/direct!

Plus it'll look sweet next to the last bike I built - my singlespeed cyclocross bike - built from an old Jamis exile singlespeed mtb frame, with added singlespeed specific TRP hydraulic road disc brakes and painted in suitable retro colours. I actually spent far too much on this build (the brakes alone were pretty spendy) but I just love riding it!!!

The model name is a curse word take of a statement from a friend, who only rides modern big wheeled bouncy bikes, who kept telling us that Hannah and I shouldn't ride such unsuitable singlespeeds offroad :D

Alex

Last edited:
Ahhh yes I think I know what you mean too. Even though the addict was too small for me I took it for a spin and yes - outright race bike spec handling.
The cr1 I know to be a bit more relaxed (and upright) because one of the Oxford shops I worked at sold scott bikes (Walton Street cycles-when John who started it still owned it) and we could borrow the demo bikes when we've we wanted.

Well done, looks ace! Scott's seem to have a reputation. My Addict cx twice had the bb shell turn as i tried to replace the bearings.Twice it's been bonded back in but never lasts.
I also have 2008 Addict Limited with a bottle cage boss that also keeps coming loose. The surround that sits proud of the tube.So annoying! Lovely light bike though and my favourite climbing bike

@Mike Muz Yeah I can only cross my fingers and hope it lasts. The BB is as new and I made sure both cups wind in and out easy. To avoid corrosion and the cups sticking I have used copperslip on the threads.
When I originally removed the stuck cups from the alloy inserts they were overly tight and dry. Not surprised someone had broken the bond trying to remove them.

Oh and yeah- the bike is like a rocket heading uphill. No effort is wasted and it feels so good.

Plus it rides really well and is more comfortable then I expected. Very happy with it! My second ride on it and I just kept going. Was so nice to be out on :)

Attachments

• 20230427_103636 (Large).jpg
    20230427_103636 (Large).jpg
    355.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 20230427_120040 (Large).jpg
    20230427_120040 (Large).jpg
    464.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 20230427_125329 (Large).jpg
    20230427_125329 (Large).jpg
    471.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 20230427_125755 (Large).jpg
    20230427_125755 (Large).jpg
    183 KB · Views: 2
  • 20230427_142742 (Large).jpg
    20230427_142742 (Large).jpg
    670.8 KB · Views: 2
Oh and yeah- the bike is like a rocket heading uphill. No effort is wasted and it feels so good.

Plus it rides really well and is more comfortable then I expected. Very happy with it! My second ride on it and I just kept going. Was so nice to be out on :)
Fantastic. Mine is still my lightest bike

Yes- I bet! I can see how folks can start getting carried away retro fitting lighter bits on frames like these and chasing lighter and lighter goals :D

My first road bike post on here :)

I have been fancying a posh road bike for some time now after selling on my 853 Fetch road bike a few years ago (Fetches were a very limited run of custom build road frames from the 90s by some fella called Andy who build some commonwealth bikes?)

Since moving back to NZ after 10 years spannering on bikes in Oxford shops I have mainly been using my 2009 Genesis Croix de fer cyclocross bike as my roadie. Suits me due to the abundance of gravel roads and suitable singletrack where we live.

But I wanted something lighter and stiffer for pure road rides. So I have been watching the various sites online. This CR1 pro frameset popped up on trademe for $80nzd buy now - cheap because it had a loose BB shell insert.

I bought it and had a friend bring it south when visiting for a classic car meet.

Pretty much my size and in otherwise fine condition.

I managed to free off the two BB insert halves spinning loose in the frame and clean them up in the lathe. Then I epoxied them back in place with my favourite JB weld, clamping them with a spare set of tiagra cranks so making sure the cups were aligned.

While this took place I kept a look out for a cheap road bike I could get all the parts from. Then I struck gold! A fella who lived about 60km from me was selling a smaller framed Scott Addict, the higher end one with the intergrated seatpost and complete with almost full Dura-ace groupset, Ultegra chainset, TRP calipers with Ti bolts, nice Sram wheels and some nice Orbea carbon bars. All for $500nzd start bid. I expected to be outbid but I think that a combination of his location plus a fairly basic advert meant no one else was interested. Bingo! I had my parts plus a posh frame I could sell on.

I stripped it down and sold the frameset on for $300. Then I began the painting of my CR1 frameset. I chose a colour not to dissimilar to my spare Hillman Imp car. A nice pastel green. I had a look in mind. Painted it with 2 pac paint and it went well- I was expecting the usual flies to land somewhere and get stuck but I was lucky this time.

I let the paint harden properly for a few days and in that time a nice carbon seatpost arrived in the mail from Ali-land. (the one thing I was missing since the addict had a integrated seatpost)

Now I had everything I needed I could start the build. Its been raining all day here today so this afternoon was spent in the comfort of the workshop, music blaring, as I tinkered away - taking my time to enjoy the process of building a minty fresh frameset.

Its turned out great and really looks spot on I think. I very happy with it...

Not a bad weight either!... (16lb in old money)

I added up the costs.

$80 frame

$500 Scott Addict bike,

$62 carbon seatpost,

$30 paint

Then sold Addict frameset for $300

Total bill comes to $372 for a top quality carbon frameset with an almost full Dura-ace groupset plus carbon bars/post/nice wheels. Bargain!

Next thing to sort is some stickers and bottle cages. I'm probably going to go for a suitable older style font similar to what the lemonds had.

Hopefully the weather clears tomorrow so I can head out for a hoon - maybe knock out a few hillclimb PBs on Strava ! Its a decent amount lighter than the steel CDF and a fair bit more stiffer/direct!

Plus it'll look sweet next to the last bike I built - my singlespeed cyclocross bike - built from an old Jamis exile singlespeed mtb frame, with added singlespeed specific TRP hydraulic road disc brakes and painted in suitable retro colours. I actually spent far too much on this build (the brakes alone were pretty spendy) but I just love riding it!!!

The model name is a curse word take of a statement from a friend, who only rides modern big wheeled bouncy bikes, who kept telling us that Hannah and I shouldn't ride such unsuitable singlespeeds offroad :D

Alex
Hillman Imp green? I thought I'd hate it - but I love it! Looks fab.
Any pics of the Imp?

Any pics of the Imp?
yep here ya go...

IMG_20221003_111122_643.jpg

20221123_112802.jpg

If you're interested there's a whole build thread going on here as I re-engineer a honda goldwing engine for the imp. Better put the kettle on....

Back