What's the best full suss XC bike ever ?? the answer is !!!

Re: Re:

xerxes":2hs0t08g said:
No idea how well they ride or how much they weigh, I don't care.
Looks epic but can't only see squeaks, creaks and rattles moving in over time anywhere those pivots. Still nice though :)

Re: What's the best full suss XC bike ever ??

We shall see, but not that many pivots really. I am used to fancy motorbikes, and fancy four wheel drives. Relatively simple then..

Re:

Yes, I doubt there's any more pivots in the Whyte than there is in the front suspension of an average car. However, often with bicycles, the pivots and the shocks are in line with spray from the wheels, which isn't ideal. Perhaps some form of mudguard is in order. :?

Re: What's the best full suss XC bike ever ??

The suspension under a 4x4 tends to see a little action too.. If I remember rightly everything had been done recently on the Whyte though.

Re:

in terms of mechanics, mountain bike suspension was solved about 15 years ago, the dw-link and the rip off version you get on the giant anthem are clearly the best solution, and although 4-bar and horst-link types can give you progressive travel, for the most part modern shocks are so good they make any design kind of redundant so youre as well to stick with single pivot and let teh shock sort it out. with that in mind i dont see why you wouldnt go for a scott spark, good as anything else and about 300g lighter than any other sensible fs frame you can get.

problem is whatever fs you have, whatever you do, itll still be pogo stick when you get out of the saddle, which is why full sus cross country is a bit of an oxymoron imo. that said, one mans xc is another mans light enduro and vice vera. i dont consider purpose built trails xc.

point of that whyte front end is to mechanically isolate the front brake so it doesnt induce dive when you get on teh brakes. i had a scooter with a similar design, also got a use sub for the same job. basically what it lets you do is ride the front brake in a turn, it doesnt eliminate the fork dive really, cos when you brake you still get the momentum moving forward shift your weight onto the front end and the forks will compress whatever. plus that whyte frame weighs over 5kg. i still want one though :cool:

Re: Re:

simesman":2wu6ogn0 said:
Cove Hustler, obviously.

Oh the one brand that means crackage and useless pivot/linkage bearings... lol

I want to like Cove but having heard of horror experiences, it puts me right off, that and the price for the generic tube shapes.

Re:

Going totally against the grain of retrobike.

Everyone who seems to have ridden an e-bike seems to think they are the business, got to be worth a look, especially if you have health concerns?

Focus Jam looks the business.

Back