What's the best full suss XC bike ever ?? the answer is !!!

Re: What's the best full suss XC bike ever ??

Pretty much those two ^^^ Anthem and Trance If budget is to be factored in. Choose the frame depending how much travel you want.

Ridden a lot of FS bikes over the years, but to get noticeably better than those two you'd have to spend a lot of cash. Or get very lucky with something that suits your particular riding style, and no one elses!

Re:

+1 re the Orange Sub 3, they`re certainly ugly enough, ride great and for a F.S. will need minimum maintenance, with future bearing availability assured. Continuing the single pivot theme how about a Cannondale Rush as well as the already mentioned S.C. Superlite?

Good luck with your choice and let us know what you decide.

giant anthem seems worth a look ( sadly cherrybombs was a shade too big ) also still like the idea of a turner flux, however single pivot with ease of maintenance is edging in front at the moment something along the lines of an orange sub, s/c superlight or another gary fisher (cake or hifi), biggest problem will be finding something for sale I think, but I'm in no hurry,so keep the ideas coming, thanks, mike b.

Re:

...you cant go wrong with a Marin Mount Vision....they won loads of XC titles when they first hit in 1997 and I have ridden a 97, 98, 99 and 2006 and they are all great! Easy to find, single pivot, low maintainance and still fairly light...(my 99 was around 27lbs)

Doug

Well this is like asking what is the best flavour of jelly. There is no one correct answer as you can see from the suggestions above.

I would throw in the ibis mojo - light bike with smooth front and rear, carbon frame though. 26 in models going for about £ 1200 on ebay these days.

One of the Marin FS frames could be a good choice, perhaps a Mount Vision?

marin_1_766.jpg

mkone":1k32pi9t said:
Pro-flex !? or Specialized Epic FSR :D
Pro-flex are light, only 3.5 inch travel f+r but can be a bit on the high side.
Mark

I have XP-8, one down from top of the range but would not recommend it for your purpose. it is early fs that has been surpassed by better design. it is not particularly light and has a low front end compared to modern bikes so can give back trouble being bent over it - riser bars will help with that. also the swingarm can flex under power, well mine did but that was when I was a lot younger and stronger. :|

oh, and it is not disc brake ready, but can be adapted. and elastomer will have failed by now, the rear shock is non standard too.

firedfromthecircus":283uqre4 said:
Not ridden one but I do have a Heckler and a lighter one of them would be fantastic for xc I think.

I have a early Heckler before they forked it off to the be the Superlight with some lighter tubing.

I've rode it this morning and it will always be a great bike, efficient and handles the fun bits nicely. Still no rattles or badness. It is hard one to beat.

Perhaps the quest could be amended slightly, as it seems the single pivot preference precludes the 'best ever' idea..

I just tore down a late 2000s Vitus Motolite for upgrading; that bike really is something special. A little snug for me, but it works really well as an all round bike. If I was spending serious time in the saddle I might look for a bigger one, and I would probably opt for the Ti version, rather than the Ti/Carbon mashup.

Everyone's 'best' will of course be different.

I still like my old Jamis Dakar, albeit with an upgrade to a good air shock.

Re:

I'd love one of these just for the bonkersness:

f_290091.jpg

No idea how well they ride or how much they weigh, I don't care.

Back