What year is this Marin? ( U-Brake )

JCS

Kona Fan
Does anyone know what year this Marin Pine Mountain is? I really like the set-up of this, with the chainstay mounted U-Brake.

1653914792617.png

I think this photo is from a thread on this site, although I don't recall which one.

That one has 91 decals but it doesn’t look all original. Possibly repainted -the grey doesn’t look like Zolatone but hard to tell on a phone. I haven’t seen a 91 with a u brake before, not to say it’s not. Thought Us were more 88/89ish.

Last edited:
I have a feeling it's an 88, based on google searching. All the 89's seem to have cantilevers

It is a bit of a frankenbike - been repainted and rebadged. Not 100% sure it is a pine mountain either despite what the stickers say. U brake mounted on the BB shell would be 88 possibly 89. 90 onwards were all cantis. Zolatone 90 was light grey, 91 dark grey. Those look to be 91 decals. Stem is a bit too pointy up in the sky to be 90 or 91 pine mountain, but it is a Marin stem. Rear stays aren't 90 or 91 stays - those are tapered, 90/91 were 'afterburners' and constant diameter for their full length.

Reactions: JCS
Back