What to do now?

marge602

Retro Guru
Hello. This is my '92 Cinder Cone frame. I've owned it, on and off, from pretty much new. I acquired it during a pre Internet swap for a Zaskar frame(and a pile of cash) in early 1993. I built it up straight away, and still recall how well it rode.

A few years later I stripped it down cos I needed the parts for another bike. I resurrected it again in the early 2000s, and gave it the green rattle can paint job it just about still has. I bought some rigid straight bladed box crown forks, which suited it down to the ground. I built it up into a sort of on/off road bike with road transmission, but flat bars and skinny Conti Twisters. Again I was struck by how well it rode.

Upon deciding I would relocate to where I currently live, I thought thinning out the bike fleet would be a good idea and dismantled the Cinder Cone and flogged it to a mate of mine. Several years later I met up with another mate who told me he currently owned the same Kona frame and fork, as the first mate was about to take it to the tip! Obviously I had to retrieve it as soon as possible.

Since then, it's been sat in the loft, for another couple of years. Whilst I obviously can't sell it, I'm not really sure what to do with it. My '95 Kilauea is my 'go to' MTB, built up with M750 XT, Fox forks, Easton finishing kit and modern rims and tyres. I have a '92 Fire Mountain project on the go, which I intend to be as close to its original spec as possible. I just have to track down a few more parts for it.

But what to do with the CC? Thought I'd post it up on RB to see what people might think. There's no point doing either a resto or a retromod, cos I already ( just about)
have one of each. I'll definitely get it painted/powdered in its original red, but all I can come up with is a slightly vague idea to put some modern components and discs on it. Even then I'm not convinced, cos I think modern kit looks rubbish, and don't particularly like disc brakes much! However, the aforementioned forks are disc and rim brake ready, so maybe you can see where I'm coming from. Any ideas?

Regards

Marge

Attachments

• img20150329_212636.jpg
    img20150329_212636.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 501
  • img20150329_212604.jpg
    img20150329_212604.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 501
  • img20150329_212452.jpg
    img20150329_212452.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 501
Re: What to do?

greencat":gwtu0xoh said:
Singlespeed and/or slicks for maintenance free hack bike.

This.

Simple, single, slicks. Probably best with rigid forks.

Could probably build it up with an SLX or deore part group set from one of the German retailers, pick and choose some bits from the forum (v brakes, levers, wheels) and run it as a useable fun bike. Either with or without suspension.

Modern kit might look rubbish, but you don't look at it when you ride. Unless you have issues.

I keep thinking about doing similar with the frame and fork I have in the attic.

The rigid singlespeed route will give you something different to the other bikes you have. The only danger is that it will become your first choice ride...like my rigid singlespeed Cindercone. :cool:

Re:

I'll be the evil modernist in the room.

How about a 650b canti conversion in single speed or 1x8?

Might be worth a look for something different.

Re:

Thanks gents. Plenty of food for thought there. Around ten years ago I did refer to it as Project Singlespeed, and was a few minutes away from sawing most of the bosses off...

Problem is, I lived in Oxfordshire at the time, which is a good bit less hilly than where I live now. And if I eventually thought gears would be the best way to go back then, they're probably more essential now. Yet, for some reason the SS route does really appeal to me. Surely I have to use a tensioning pulley of some sort, like cheap tandems have, as the CC doesn't have horizontal dropouts?

The modern parts route does also appeal, despite what I originally wrote. The 650b conversion sounds really interesting. I presume the wheels would fit in the frame, but a fair bit of work would be needed.

LGF, the strip down and powdercoat is first on the list. I think it may have spent some time outside. Fortunately it had a seatpost, forks, headset and stem in, which has hopefully kept out the worst of the elements. Closer inspection reveals no serious structural rust.

Regards

Marge

Re:

Has anyone suggested a drop bar conversion? I think it would make a sweet drop bar slick tired touring / commuting bike. That way you can fill that void in your lineup and keep the sweet riding bike.

I suspect that the top tube will be a bit on the long side. Marins seem to convert fairly easily, but Konas are a bit longer.

Back