What state is retro biking in at the moment?

Re: Re:

clubby":1ksm1rqt said:
2manyoranges":1ksm1rqt said:
No no no do not recommend large sprocket doubling as disc. The will give the industry an Entirely New Thing To Introduce (ENTTI) and we have had enough of those thank you.

New for 2021 ........ SRAM Sprotor.

To be fair, these exist on custom motorbikes but always make me think none of them ever lube their chain.

:facepalm:

You can see some Hipster (nob head) single speeder making use if it on his Phat bike :LOL:

and as for the oily chain on the Harley forum discussing Sprotors

give it time and it will be on the list of things to have ...... brake pads covered in oil is no more silly than brake blocks on clincher rims covered in mud/grime and anything else you want to roll your wheel through to screw up your braking surface.

Attachments

• 6443836305_ef6d0c43d5_b.jpg
    6443836305_ef6d0c43d5_b.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 549
  • Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 549
Re:

I was joking I didn't realise these thing (even in another form) were real, eek.

But there we have it extra planed wear out. Of course make sure that top.ring is part of the most expensive block of cogs ;-)
Great for roadies.

About to have a reemergence when people realise the 99 quid bike is useless. and all those quality ones sold on ebay they enjoy riding and want to find out more about it.

If you ask me, and nobody has but I dont care, we should be plugging the site as hard as possible. Put out more about cheap second hand can outshine anything of comparable value today.

We need a sticker campaign :cool:

Re:

I agree. I've seen a lot of people on very shiny new apollo's chickening out of small easy decents as I fly past. Just people being interested in cycling again is what will drive the resurgence. Some of those guys will want something better and instead of the 300 quid carrera they will buy a 300 pound orange or specialized. Hopefully the pre 98 stuff will start to gain in price because the spark will re ignite in the used to be riders who want there old school dream bike.

Re:

A small nugget of my own experience nobody asked for:

I did not rode a bike for a long time, when I was a teenager it was just a cheap mean of transportation for me. 5-6 years ago at almost 35 I got back on the saddle with a new bike. When you walk in a modern bike shop with 600-800eur in the hand, all you can have is a MTB or a town bike... that was before the gravel fad. Decent road bikes were 1000 or more if I remember well. So I walked out with a Trek 800. Not a bad bike, but heavy, mushy (front susp), not really pleasurable and not a good fit for my road or urban use.

Since then I sold it, found a friend owning a retrobike shop, had a few bikes build. An inexpensive steel GT MTB for the town, a full retro road bike (Bernard Carré frame), a more modern one (Gitane Aviatube 5056 road frame) and these days a reto MTB. All of these feel much more pleasurable, use much better components quality wise, and cost less.

Modern bikes : 0, retro bikes 4. I'm not sure I have enough cash to justify the expense of having a good modern bike.

dyna-ti":2bgzmavo said:
FluffyChicken":2bgzmavo said:
Given the size of these things

Probably be 60 next year, so seems that 2nd chainring was important after all.
Who knows, another 4 or 5 years and triples will return.
. . .
And here we have . . . Wait for it . . . SRAM's new design for triple rotating front derailleurs: "three separate gear-changing mechanisms that rotate with the crankset". https://cyclingtips.com/2020/06/radical ... railleurs/

Back