What state is retro biking in at the moment?

The History Man":1v8syqsh said:
Only just got rid of my crayons. Still have my fountain pens though.

Is Facebook worth it? I have no friends that I want to share with.
You don't need to, its just a means to an end. You can follow companies and no one needs to know. You can join pointless groups or, like us, setup your own local riding group. It's just easy to use and inform everyone.
Especially if you use a smartphone cabablke of using the app.
And I was dragged into it too.

No that twitter thing I don't use can't stand not being able to read what the hell anyone is talking about.

I've also found it great for sorting out problems with companies, better than the phone call as you don't have to hang around through millions of options and then pay for the call. Worked wonders with Orange/EE.

Re:

I'm on here a little less and I think I know why.

Firstly it's not really a drop in interest I've just reached saturation point and haven't learnt the skill of letting go!

Like most, I imagine, I started with mid range 'bargains', did a bit of resto, a bit of pimping and now have built a unicorn or two.

When I was hunting for parts I would be on the sales pages at least daily which would lead to a flick through the chat etc. Less buying has meant less flicking so to speak but I still love my bikes!

I think of them as classic cars not as a fad. Not by any means. And like with classic cars prices will fluctuate but that shouldn't matter too much unless you are in it for the money which is a different game.

I'd even go so far as calling my hobby Classic Bikes as opposed to Retro as I think that's more sums up where we are.

This is what's really wrong with fancy modern bikes:

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/The-Argume ... -2012.html

Because the downhill bike is not carrying speed as well as a solidly built, shorter travel bike would, the rider is forced to work hard to find that extra momentum, throwing down as many pedal strokes as possible, while those on smaller bikes coast and look for backsides to pump.

You can't really argue with that, can you?

Re:

When I first stumbled across this site, I'd not owned or ridden a mountain bike since 1991 when my 1989 Jamis had been stolen from my parents garage.
To be honest, I'd already discarded my trusty bike for my first car and the freedom it gave me.
Years of driving to raves in muddy fields around the south followed and cycling couldn't have been further from my thoughts.
Life long friends were made and many brain-cells destroyed!
I've made more great friends since finding retrobike, plus my love for cycling has been rekindled.
This coming weekend I have 4 retrobikers staying at mine so we can get a ride in plus a curry in the evening.
I ride almost as much now as I did when I was in my early teens, just not quite as quickly.
I've bought, and sold, a rediculous amount of bikes and parts and have learnt many new skills along the way.
From my point of view, I don't buy or sell as much as I used to, but that's because I have, or have owned, most of the bikes I want to.
I had almost become complacent on this front though. Only last week I told my other half that the 853 Saracen Kili frame that had just been delivered was the last frame I really wanted to own....I've already had to own up to another one that's being collected this week :D

Re:

mrkawasaki wrote about the sometimes poisonous elitism that sometimes leaked into the BOTM competition. Fair shout. I got bored at times listening to the rants of people raging against drivetrains a year out of place or garage queens winning that never saw mud. So why don't we have a " Steed in a state " compo for imperfect mud pluggers covered in poo or worn into the ground top enders?

highlandflyer's suggestion of moving the age demographic goalposts is excellent before we're a bunch of old men shouting obscenities at young men with good bikes that aren't old enough.

Still reading this thread....

Chopper1192":1wvcd4xc said:
People are starting to realise that rarity doesn't automatically confer a high value on an item, as Allegro and Marina owners will attest. If was unloved back then it'll probably be unloved today. That it's one of only 3 left is of no consequence if it's beige and no one wants it.
On the other hand, responding to a call for a part which someone can't find for love nor money by saying that you have a genuinely new-in-box version and will throw in the part the guy needs to make it fit his particular bike (also new) and put a price on it around half that of the eBay NOS chancers... to then be offered less than half of THAT... that's a bit of an insult.

Back