What rear cassette for Eroica Britannia. Help!!!

Re:

Thanks for all the differing views. First things first, I need to work on the 15 stone and see if I can lose a bit at the back!

Montello: Fair play to you for last year. I saw your report and good time. I have a holiday cottage in Tideswell and it doesn't surprise me that the food stand was caught out, knowing who was on it!!!!!!

The frame I am having painted is the Bonavia (thanks Midlife and Kermit) and I have the decals coming over from Canada. I would like to stay true to it's '81 vintage with the running gear, but see if I can get a 39 or 36 chain ring to go with the 28 at the rear, at least to try it first before I panic.

Is Mam Nick the toughest hill on the route? I like the reference to "the ladies route", as my Mrs is doing the 55 miler. However, they call the most common route up Everest "the yak track" but that is still a testing little walk!

Cheers Pete

stronglight do a triple converter ring, check Spa cycles, they have them in various sizes and the price is good.

This is what I brought to l'Eroica in Tuscany, the maximum I found that the short cage first generation Shimano 600 could handle: 14-28 in the rear and 48/34 in front. The crank set is a Sugino 110 BCD. I plan on using a similar setup this year.

Grotefoto-PNN3ROY3.jpg

Re:

SJS do a nicely retro looking chainset with 50/34 (compact) rings. Very cheap too at £25 last time I looked. I fitted one to my girlfriends Raleigh Medale with a (admittedly not as retro looking) Shimano mega-range 14/34 freewheel for l'eroica. She was very happy "twiddling" up everything going. The freewheel came with its own derailleur but I'm currently running same gearing with a Suntour long cage on my Mercian with no problems at all.
Call me a soft old duffer but this gets me up my local Lakes passes which I wouldn't even be attempting on my taller geared bikes!

I had a 42-26 bottom gear last year, and did succumb to walking a couple of the climbs.
I'm packing a TA double and a 28T rear this time around..

Back