What is this cassette / hanger combination please?

I've had a bottle of wine to help get in French psyche. Sort of helping but it's not enough.

..... but the facts Hercule:
- It's a road racing bike, considering the rest (no rack mounts, mudguards, blah blah).
- The idea of triples on road racing bikes went up to the Big Mig era, and I think he even experimented with them if I recall some reading correctly.
- World Championship bands on the frame. Basically means not shit, and a builder by unwritten protocol who earned them could have them on their products.
- That rear hub, is anodised black, not silver polished. From memory Mavic and Modolo flirted with a similar colour.
- At this time, it was certainly a known problem with rear axle failures with a 6 speed freewheel.
- Date wise, this surely must be something before the Maillard Helicomatic and well before the 7 speed Shimano freehub unless the designer was trying to solve something else*
- That little cable guide also suggest French to me. Motobecane also had similar tight cable runs with skinny rings.
- We don't have a picture of the NDS. I suspect, and think there must be still a QR thing going on.
- Need more wine.

* My own view of French bikes (and largely due to @Guinessisgoodforyou epic thread) is sometimes they have a knack of solving things with very different approaches, and will make an extra step to make it look good too. I don't think any of us could say it looks a crap job, but accept that does not mean it is French either. I'm dumbfounded for the moment, but warming up more to an idea it's related to chain line.

EDIT: Also, wheel dishing was getting a bit too extreme as well. Probably more racers from that sort of time could confirm spoke breakages with what, 126mm OLN ?

Last edited:
Here is a more recent version of the same. Lots of pics to show how it works.

For some reason i think the bike in the OP actually might be a Motobecane.
This is an interesting story and no doubt it works along similar lines.

I saw this some time ago; a belt drive outside the frame, so there is no need for a split in the frame.

Back