What is this cassette / hanger combination please?

It does eliminate chain slap by making the chain not cross over the chain stays.

Though there is nothing protecting the chain from falling off at the smallest cog if it’s not set up properly😬

Last edited:
Drawing blanks too.

Got a lot of French about it for sure. Maillard freewheel. "Option" is not an easy brand name to search on either.

Not very helpful, I guess, but my 8freight by Mike Burrows (R.I.P.) has a very similar derailleur hanger. Mike’s idea was that you can change the inner tube and/or tyre (or even the cassette!) without having to remove the wheel whilst the bike is loaded, as the frame utilises a monostay. Pop it on the built-in central stand, and voila. Mike also used a very similar design on the Ratcatcher and other recumbent racers. Not sure what function it has on this handsome racing bike though apart from being different, but it could be the designer’s reasoning was along somewhat similar lines? Maybe it was also one of Mike’s? Sadly, it’s too late to ask him.
Good luck with finding out. I am quite curious myself now!
Vitus 788 tubing?

Reminds me almost of a trike rear set up. If I read the ad correctly the front/rear wheels are interchangeable? Be interesting to see some close ups of how they fit in the dropouts/how the drive connects the cassette to the wheel.

What an interesting approach to a drive train. I would suspect t that it's a small builder playing woth an idea, I certainly can't recall seeing something like it before.

The idea of outboard drive has been done before though I'm damned if I can point you towards it right now.

Reactions: Woz
Back