what effect will a longer stem have on handling?

I'm going to go with a 130mm and ditch my USE seatpost and get a seatpost that has the clamp set back, that will mean the saddle can be positioned a bit further back, because when I'm riding it I feel like the saddle should be slightly further back.

I prefer the look of a long stem over a short stem, allways gone for 135's, i'd put up with slightly slower steering for a nice long stem though i had a 90mm stem on my LTS when i first got it and it seemed to handle better with a 120, looked and felt a bit rediculous when i fitted a 140 though so i suppose everyone has an ideal length.

Have a 150 on my Clockwork and it rides fine, tried a 135 on it and could'nt feel any difference.

Basically, the steeper the head angle and the twitchier the handling, the longer stem you can get away with to 'slow' the steering........hence modern bikes with long forks and slack head angles have shorter stems to 'liven up' the steering.

I hope that makes some sense :roll:

110mm?? :?

All my stems are 90mm or less ;) Though I might try the original 130mm for the Explosif...just to see what it feels like watching my front tire spin for the whole ride. :D

The length of the top tube on your frame has a big say in how long a stem you use. If your frame has a short-ish top tube you might want a longer stem. I am just over 6 feet tall and my frame has a 25 inch top tube-center to center-and I use a 120mm stem, which stretches me right out. You also have to take into account how far forward or aft your saddle is and if your upper body is disproportionally long or short for your height-you also might have grown some in the intervening years and now need a larger frame.

Yeah, I think the main problem is the saddle, current seatpost is a straight clamp design, puts the saddle too far forwards even at the front of the rails.

konahed":37emuopi said:
Yeah, I think the main problem is the saddle, current seatpost is a straight clamp design, puts the saddle too far forwards even at the front of the rails.

True. I've put a set back post on and it's changed the ride a lot. Plus getting saddle sore in a different place now :shock: :( :oops: :LOL:

I think we concern ourselves too much over things like this,I mean 10mm,how much difference can it make?

spudgun":256jg202 said:
I think we concern ourselves too much over things like this,I mean 10mm,how much difference can it make?

I think the seatpost clamp position can make quite a big difference to the feel.

I think 5mm can make or brake for perfect handling.....hence a few manufacturers moving to 95mm stems instead of 90/100 BUT Angle height affects things greatly.

Back