What brake/gear cable cutters do you recommend

I maintain 5 bikes for our family, and any friend's whose kids visit too. I find myself doing at least cables for at least 3-4 bikes per year, often far more than that. Tools are investments few regret, if they spend the time to learn their use.

J

Re: Re:

kalex":31au58g2 said:
I doubt I'll get the use out of a new cutter but with two sons both under 10 yrs old I expect to be busy.
Dad's getting 'em into bikes is he? Good job! I'd get the Park. Every other tool I've purchased with the Park name has been as good or better than anything else for a reasonable outlay of funds. If they stay into bikes, they may very well fight over the cable cutter after you've moved on from this earth.

Bodecci":2zqwvyvz said:
kalex":2zqwvyvz said:
I doubt I'll get the use out of a new cutter but with two sons both under 10 yrs old I expect to be busy.
Dad's getting 'em into bikes is he? Good job! I'd get the Park. Every other tool I've purchased with the Park name has been as good or better than anything else for a reasonable outlay of funds. If they stay into bikes, they may very well fight over the cable cutter after you've moved on from this earth.

my youngest follows me around like a shadow and we're both in to bikes, motorbikes and cars but my eldest is a techno kid so he needs more persuading.

Re:

I use Park Tools cutters in my workshop.

One thing that I can suggest is that even good cutters become bad cutters with poor technique.

A fast cut is always cleaner than a slow cut.

drystonepaul":2wpw49np said:
I use Park Tools cutters in my workshop.

One thing that I can suggest is that even good cutters become bad cutters with poor technique.

A fast cut is always cleaner than a slow cut.
do you put a piece of scrap inner in the outer before cutting? Seems to me this may be easier on the cutter

Re:

I have the Pedros one and it works great. If the Draper one is the same it is a bargain!

kalex":dmqx3u36 said:
Does anyone apply lube to the cutting section or cutting edges
I've never heard of this. Seems like it may help keep the cutting edges sharp. I'd be worried about grease with metal shavings getting into the pivot point of the tool. Although there wouldn't be much from cutting cables. A bit of grease, clean when done.

It's more of an oil and not a grease that would be used but that type of thing is normally used when cutting metal tubing with circular bench saws ..

Back