What brake/gear cable cutters do you recommend

kalex":2ge5377w said:
Rampage":2ge5377w said:
The halfords one isn't very good.

i think with tools in general you do get what you pay for as some i'm sure are made of monkey metal

Yes but not always true as per the Draper and the Pedros ones above are the same one but completely different prices.

Rampage":3f8tg6vm said:
kalex":3f8tg6vm said:
Rampage":3f8tg6vm said:
The halfords one isn't very good.

i think with tools in general you do get what you pay for as some i'm sure are made of monkey metal

Yes but not always true as per the Draper and the Pedros ones above are the same one but completely different prices.

it depends somethings can look the same but be different a quality. then I also think once you get to a certain quality and the price is vastly different your actually paying for the name.

i've had cheapo tools that look the same as better make stuff ( mainly screwdriver's ) and the heads have rounded off.

I do buy cheapo stuff depending on what it is.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
You're all using masking tape on the inners, right? That with any good diagonal cutters works fine. And you're all putting a piece of scrap inner in the outer before cutting, right? If not, that keeps it from flattening out as bad. Work with a small brad or a scribe to round it back out and then file. I do need to get the Park cutter. I'm getting too old to do it "the old fashioned way".
Yes, they're spendy, but how much does it cost to have cables put on your bike once? That would be 4 new cables a year for me. I still do the old, put the backs in place of the old fronts and install new back cables, trick. Try to get a shop to do that. Not gonna happen.

Re:

My Park Tool cutter has never let me down. You can get them from Sigma Sport for £18.39 with free delivery which I don't think is an excessive price to pay - especially if you've spent months or years cursing over crap pliers :LOL:

http://www.sigmasport.co.uk/item/Park-T ... GwodFvQJ3A

Re: Re:

raidan73":tcsqan7m said:
My Park Tool cutter has never let me down. You can get them from Sigma Sport for £18.39 with free delivery which I don't think is an excessive price to pay - especially if you've spent months or years cursing over crap pliers :LOL:

http://www.sigmasport.co.uk/item/Park-T ... GwodFvQJ3A
I can find similar deals here in the States and you're correct. When I pulled the Marin out two years ago I got a Pedro's cutter. Worked fine for one bike. Prior to that I spent my whole life using my technique with a pair of lineman's pliers similar to what's pictured above. They still work and not just for cutting cables.

Re:

I've used the Drapers cutter for the past three years. Scores of cables cut and no problems. Great cutters for the money.

Re:

I doubt I'll get the use out of a new cutter but with two sons both under 10 yrs old I expect to be busy.

Back