What bike did you want when you first got into atb?

Re:

First MTB/ATB bike I saw was a Raleigh Mustang and immediately wanted one. When I started looking around I then wanted a Apollo Blizzard as I loved the green/white paint job.

Interest pricked I then started begging mum for the 1989 Saracen Tufftrax that was in my local bike shop and that became my first MTB.

By this point I was buying MBUK and knew a bit more so then dreamed of a 1990 Team Marin followed by the 1991/2 Oranges (Got a second hand 89 Clockwork).

After that the last bikes I really lusted after were the original M900 GT RTS1, original Orange Vitamin T or Yo Eddy in aquafade.

Re:

In the early years I really wanted a black splatter paint Kona Explosif, but the models and years moved on before I could afford one.
When I finally got to ride an Explosif around the camping park in '92 at the Cheddar Challenge, I didn't like the positioning so didn't feel that I missed out!
They still look ace though :cool:

I just wanted something that i could ride off road on, having snapped one racer doing it. My mate got us a pair of 1988 raleigh mustangs from where he worked...... the bike that started the itch :)

Re:

I wanted Stumpjumper. Started on a Raleigh Mustang then moved to Specialized Hardrock.

My dad's mate worked for Carratti so I managed to get a 1990 Stumpjumper but it was stolen pretty quickly. I rememeber seeing early GT's when Carratti started importing them and thinking "no thanks, looks weird". I'd love a karakoram with splatter paint now.

But the bike I always wanted was a Bontrager Race Lite. They just looked like nothing else - all function, no fripperies. I've got a privateer now and that will do for the time being.

Re:

Our local Raleigh dealership had a white Raleigh mirage with exage trail on it, twas the bees nees to me but being 15 and no say in the matter my father got me a Raleigh magnum ................with mudguards as standard.
It was a start, when I started earning my own money I went out and purchased myself at GT karakoram elite with midnight sky paint ..... Good times :)

Used Kettler alu bike, with chainstay XT U-brake and a weird Suntour/Shimano mix. Previous owner was dim enough to use it until the steel holderpiece of the worn brakepad has eaten iself into the rear rim :facepalm: Biggest cassette ring was painted red, looked strange & funny/crap, was OEM tough. ITM seatpost had a built -in 6-7 cm long horizontal scale, on which you could adjust the seat' position horizontally with a quick release :shock: , quite a rare example, weighs a ton too.

Got it in '95, with generous financial help from my mommy, it was about 6-7 years old already, in rather neglected conditon, for about 65 GBP in today' money. Slowly tuned it during the years as pocket monies allowed (not much). Eventually only the frame stayed with me after all these years, all other parts were gone, but it's being a thick-tubed example, with nice fat welds still going OK and in 52 cm size weighs under 2000 gr. barenaked :LOL:

Did a period-ish resto' on it with Suntour/Dia-Compe stuff some years ago, but just lost interest and it's still incomplete. I guess for the 25th anniversary of my ownership I'll make it nice & tidy with some fancy stuff :xmas-wink:

Re:

The first time I rode a real MTB, it was in 1988 (before I rode off road but with a BMX…). That bike was a black-red MBK adventure.
But the bike I discovered and I rode on the parking of a shop 2 month later and then, I wanted to own, was that 1988 Cannondale SM600

I found and I bought that bike I rode 19 years later

Latest posts

Back