What’s your favourite tubeless sealant?

Russell

Old School Grand Master
Imminent arrival of new bike (MTB) will mean finally going tubeless for the first time.

Anyone got a favourite sealant or know which ones to avoid?

Thanks.

Many years ago when tubeless had just come about, I went for a ride with RB member Smokes. He’d made a ghetto set-up consisting of latex mixed with various colour glitter. The idea being that the glitter would plug small holes.

When a large cut overwhelmed the latex he had to try and fit a tube in this snotty, glittery mess, he ended up covered in it which left him very sparkly! So, unless you want to look like Elton John when doing trail-side repairs, avoid this!

I'm finally going (to try) tubeless too (on one bike anyway).
Doesn't seem to be any cheaper than tubes.😕

I was just going to get stans sealant...

I got Joe's rim strips cause they were 'only' AU$20 as opposed to Stan's normally being AU$35.
And I got some nice looking valves from Lezyne:

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-02-09 at 19-20-16 Lezyne_CNC_TLR_Valves_Black_44mm_01_e6e94ed9-82be-4d46-aeb0-...png
    Screenshot 2023-02-09 at 19-20-16 Lezyne_CNC_TLR_Valves_Black_44mm_01_e6e94ed9-82be-4d46-aeb0-...png
    107.5 KB · Views: 0
Anyone got a favourite sealant or know which ones to avoid?

I use Stan’s. Have done for 7 years and never had an issue on mtb tyres. Wouldn’t seal one on the road bike though. It was a pretty long cut from a metal staple and would start to leak once pumped up to road pressures. Also easy to find if you need a top up and they don’t keep messing with the formula. Other are always launching improved versions that may not be cross compatible with stuff already in the wheel.

Got a free bottle of Orange seal with my last set of wheels and been fine fit the limited use those wheels have had.

Hated Muc Off. Last new bike came set up with it and when I went to fit inserts it was a disgusting mess. Peaty’s is pretty similar from what I’ve heard.

I’ve going with putting the tyres on and inflating them to seat them, then injecting the sealant through the valve.

Yeah but how do they inflate without an inner tube?
I'm guessing they're tighter to fit than normal tyres.
I heard somewhere you gotta use really fast inflation pressure...

Back