What’s everyone’s opinion? Original or ‘trick’

I don't think I've managed to get a stock bike out of the shop since I was about 15......

And the last stock bike I bought (at 43) I swapped brakes, tyres, crank, bars, stem and saddle within a week..... (most of it before I rode it)

Re:

Personally I think there's a significant difference in buying and using a stock bike, and trying to build/renovate one to replicate your childhood favorite.

I don't also have any stock bikes in everyday biking use, but I am totally for building some as nostalgic sunny Sunday ride items! :cool:

Re: Re:

Dami":2lvpnnjq said:
Personally I think there's a significant difference in buying and using a stock bike, and trying to build/renovate one to replicate your childhood favorite.

I don't also have any stock bikes in everyday biking use, but I am totally for building some as nostalgic sunny Sunday ride items! :cool:

I think that sums up my point 100%

Re: Re:

Falkster":3u3aj2i0 said:
M-Power":3u3aj2i0 said:
I started off riding stock, progressed to upgraded stock, then finally it was no compromise custom frames and best of bespoke throughout. Never really been a fan of stock bikes but they seem to be the most popular in BOTM.

I’m not sure if I could go as far as bespoke. I like the idea that someone knows better than me about frame design and I can add my personal touches.

M-Power? Is that another one of your hobbies?

As a fully paid up member of the Victor Meldrew club now, im just glad i got to live a few bloke fantasies out before its all taken away. Modding cars, nice retro bikes, all money pits but fun :D

I’d say it comes down to your nostalgic love/respect for the bike.
My Palisades Trail is fully original, down to the air in the tyres ;) and I sourced original bits to make it so, and it’s not even a very good Marin! Altus gear on it, but it all works after 20+ years and I love it to bits as it is.
My Pug is just a test bed/prototype and My Marin Rock Springs is semi-hated and will get garish parts based on whatever is available, bordering on comical because it’s fugly.

Back