Wester Ross #367 FGF Build Thread.

BOBU

Retro Guru
I suppose this starts here......

So, I've had the frame in my possession for just over a week and the first part arrived today. There are enough photo's on the linked thread which show how it came into my hands [Walterscot, deeply grateful - thank you] and from there the tale begins. Deep breath, maximum effort.....

To add,

IMG_3328.JPG

Stronglight 80 170mm 52/38t Chainset....

IMG_3326.JPG

The colour of the frame is Chameleon in that some lights, mustard, or amber or a milky orange, it's growing on me. There are a couple of small paint-chips but I'll address those in due course. First I need to polish up that chainset....

Polishing cranks started and reveals that the chainrings are 52/42t .... which is not quite as advertised. I suppose it's more conventional to hold a ten tooth difference anyway but my hopes were to stretch the low/high a bit for touring. Consolation is I can always change out the low chainring down the line.... The polishing is taking time, I suppose it always does :rolleyes:

Here's an update, mostly parts accumulation at this point along with some test fitting of kit I had. For a 27" wheeled bike wheels were a challenge so I had to sacrifice an old gas pipe Raleigh I procured on ebay. They guy said the wheels were good. Cleaning them up [spokes] is taking days due to the state....

1-WheelDone.JPG
You can probably guess which one has been "done" by the tyres which arrived this week. The rims are Sturmey Archer, may be 50 years old but the chrome on the steel is still really good. New rims arrived too but they will be built-up down the line. I also need to do some paint touch-ups and the list simply grows.....

My WR no. 449:

Hi Spokesmann, your bike is lovely. I think you put up a build/restoration thread on here about it, you probably know my current Tourer is the Carlton Corsair. I had/have seen the facebook group which seems mainly North America based, I'm loathe to mention anything there until my restoration is completed. I'm still in parts accumulation/option selection mode with the WR and it won't be touring until mid-spring '24 given the variable/inhospitable weather of Scotland Nov-March. I'm hoping to tour it to Aultbeag after shake-downs around here, once built! Finding parts for this vintage/spec of bike can be challenging! Thanks for the heads-up though, ATB.

Back