Welded disc mount advice

Prodigal Son":3dw9zjwh said:
Don´t disc brakes need thru axle drop outs for solid, stiff, no rubbing, alignment?

Not that I'm aware of... Bolt thru axles have only been a recent ish thing. Originally disc brakes would have just been on standard qr axles / dropouts

Prodigal Son":2b32v5hm said:
Don´t disc brakes need thru axle drop outs for solid, stiff, no rubbing, alignment?
As long as you can actually fit the wheel and use a qr properly, absolutely not. (I'm running 4 or 5 bikes with QR and disc, none of them rub.)

dandy1":qpd9n0nt said:
Prodigal Son":qpd9n0nt said:

Not that I'm aware of... Bolt thru axles have only been a recent ish thing. Originally disc brakes would have just been on standard qr axles / dropouts

Originally we rode rim brakes. Discs are better. Discs and thru axles are betterer.

Prodigal Son":1s8ou6rw said:
dandy1":1s8ou6rw said:
Prodigal Son":1s8ou6rw said:

Originally we rode rim brakes. Discs are better. Discs and thru axles are betterer.

Very true

Yes, it had a 160mm rotor when I got it, which just cleared the stays. But it's more of a 'will the frame be fine' if I run it with discs

Re:

I would be cautious. I have a frame hanging up with a snapped rear stay just at the point the disc tab weld stops. This is a frame designed for disc brakes and not a cheap one (trek fuel). That said ive had a disc tab welded to an rts rear stay. Also, many frames don't have the brace between the stays by design.

If you are worried, go with v brakes.

TBH the biggest risk is probably if this has butted stays or not. All the steel ones I've seen that have failed have either had butted stays or been fitted by someone on the agricultural end of metalwork.....

Pretty sure a 23 year old Ti frame will just have straight gauge stays. In a stock, off the shelf configuration. So unless you're going to be doing trials or hardcore/racing, you'll probably be ok.

Back