weight loss vs light bike.

I'll leave the keto for another thread, you are right but for some people it is incredibly effective even once that water has gone.

So lets ignore rims, hubs, spokes, fork lowers, brakes, chain stays / swingarms...it is too much to ignore, how great is the positive effect on the mechanics of the bike? Plus you have to lift, hop and jump the bike and not being a complete extension of your body, you are not attached it, means its harder than lifting body weight.

I know if we talk pure xc, long rides then body weight is going to usually be a win with the fitness from the exercise a byproduct but in other disciplines it is less relevant. In general freeride on a 35lb bike, if that weighed 30lb would your ride improve all round more?

Fitness must come first. You can get fit on any kind of bike, if you diet along with training you can get to a good cycling weight. Once you have fitness, you can improve the bike-first by light wheels and tires, cranks and pedals-all the rotating weight-this will help acceleration the most, as a lighter flywheel is much easier to spin up. If you have a lot of hills, like we do here in Marin, then overall bike weight becomes important, too, as you have to lift that mass against gravity-not quite as important in flatter areas, where wind resistance at speed is the biggest factor. The point is, you will be faster with a lighter bike, no matter what you weigh, but you will be much more able to take advantage of that light bike if you are really fit first!

Magsy":e6vur3xx said:
I'll leave the keto for another thread, you are right but for some people it is incredibly effective even once that water has gone.
I'm not disputing keto or low carb diets for their efficacy in terms of weight loss, merely stressing that notable losses early on are largely water, that's all.

And let's be clear on keto / low carb diets, they can be effective for many, for several reasons (hormonal response, satiety, adherence, preserving lbm) - but all other things being equal, there's no tangible / significant metabolic advantage (that matters a damn over normal time periods) for ketosis for weight / bodyfat loss.
Magsy":e6vur3xx said:
I know if we talk pure xc, long rides then body weight is going to usually be a win with the fitness from the exercise a byproduct but in other disciplines it is less relevant. In general freeride on a 35lb bike, if that weighed 30lb would your ride improve all round more?
All I would say, is that in appearing, generally, biased in terms of focus on bike weight, you seem to be saying: "let's forget about all the tangibles, and focus on all the intangibles..."

its an effort thing right? stronger can do more with the same. 250watt motor can move x at a rate of whatever. the same motor with more weight will require more current to do the same job so it either uses more or where more isnt available it does less? thats my understanding of newton anyway.
theres a tubster in my club with a trek 5.9 madone full dura di2 and he cant climb worth a damn but he can keep going for miles and miles at the same work rate
theres another guy who is an avid ctc member on a raleigh record ace in his 70's who will keep going at a better average than fatso on his trek and he will climb with no devation from his maintained pace.
i think the 2 are linked as in its an individual thing. would cav beat himself if he did the first run on a 25lb bike and the second on a 16lb bike providing the other variables remain the same?

Back