Viking dating and models

looks like a warlord model from memory. Very popular with cyclists starting out with the ctc when I joined in '78. Nearly bought one myself (well mum & dad that is), but went for the viscount sebring instead cos it had shimano kit.

Goldie":mrimay1c said:
Put your thinking caps on bike heros... I have a nice Viking in the cellar

I too have a nice Viking but she keeps me in the cellar and only lets me out when it's time to cook dinner or go to work....

found some michelin world tours at work, which is handy :)

would i get shot for doing another trendy build with this? they arent amazingly sort after or owt i assume....

Stick some pictures up! - I love these things beyond reason...

I guess it'd make quite a nice single speed bike as so many of the fittings are clips rather than brazed on. It should come out looking quite clean.

I fell at the first hurdle as regards changing mine goes. I couldn't even imagine tinkering. I've got a Brooks on it, new tyres and period toe clips, but othet than that it's as it came to me. I can't even replace the battered cloth bar tape. :oops:

Will do some pics tomorrow. Mine is no where near as good condition as yours. Will definately be getting a powder coat, and just ordered a new brown saddle and brown bar tape. Am thinking gloss black for the powder....

Viking Restoration Project

Hi there, I'm new to the forum and to restoration projects in general. I've recently resolved to get my dad's old Viking racer back on the road and would love to learn more about it's history as I haven't got a clue what model it is or when it was made (pre or post Londonderry). Obviously the badge states made in England/Wolverhampton but I wasn't sure if the new owners of Viking continued to say this (even if it wasn't true).

I've started up a blog to force me into documenting the project and I've uploaded some pictures for reference: vikingrestoration dot blogspot dot com

I would love to hear from anyone who has any knowledge of Vikings.

Attachments

• viking_badge.jpg
    viking_badge.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 2,810
Some more identifying features

I've been looking through google and various historical sites and I'm still finding it hard to nail it down. The bicycle pump mounts hang from the cross-bar and there's a bolt on the right-hand side of the forks for mounting a lamp. Unfortunately the remaining decals are too worn to be of any real use I fear. Although one i can make out is a shield with the wording "1st Great Britain"?

It does looks sixties... The style of the decals on the Londonderry built bikes is similar but the frames seem to be more austere -I've never seen one with the metal head badge and lugs as ornate as that.

There's a lovely Viking Severn Valley on Classic Lightweights (http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/avtviking.html) - which doesn't help much with pinnign down a build date for yours, but is definitely worth ogling :D

Back