Very stuck campag bottom bracket (Solved)

Re: Very stuck campag bottom bracket

....claim it's still under Lifetime warranty and let Ribble sort it out?

If the worst comes to the worst then an overnight soak in caustic soda and water solution would dissolve the cups. You will need to take precaution and wear suitable PPE as well!

Re:

So I had another go with the new cyclo tool as recomended in this thread.

The tool is well made but of a similar alloy to the bottom bracket cups so don't use a spanner like I did or it will cut into the tool.

However it is still firmly stuck solid despite using a breaker bar and mounting it in a vice so I'm looking to the caustic soda method.

Attachments

• photo_2020-02-15_13-57-20.jpg
    photo_2020-02-15_13-57-20.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 735
Re:

That is definitely one well stuck BB cup, I think galvanic corrosion between the alloy cup and the steel BB shell must be the cause, as commonly occurs with alloy seatposts in steel frames, plus not using an anti-seize compound on assembly and leaving it untouched for donkey's years. Might be worth pouring hot water over it a few times to see if you can break the bond through thermal shock, though slightly less likely to work when alloy is inside steel than vice versa, then again filling with a penetrating fluid and leaving overnight.

Alternatively freezing the alloy cup and heating the steel BB shell could also help and if you could get a large socket on the tool, plus breaker bar with extension on it like a scaffold pole you will get more leverage without chewing the tool to bits.

Caustic soda will work but is very nasty to use and will take several goes to work, plus you have to seal up the frame enough to contain an effective amount inside it.

Have successfully removed cups using the caustic soda technique by simply resting the BB shell in a tub of the solution overnight for a slower/calmer reaction.

I'd be for heating it with a blowtorch to expand the shell and break the corrosion bond before trying things like caustic soda. Both will trash the paintwork anyway.

I assue that the thing has been well-soaked with Plus-Gas (NOT WD40) for a week has been done already. It's amazing what it can unstick.

So in the end I had another go at removing it with the cyclo tool, I stood on the frame and a friend turned the breakerbar, we thought it finally let go however this was just was all the pins on the tool shearing off....

So after this I took it to Argos Racing Cycles and they burnt it out or did something involving a lot of heat.

They kindly retapped the bottom bracket thread afterwards so I should have no more difficulty once the new bb arrives.

Attachments

• photo_2020-02-28_18-25-46.jpg
    photo_2020-02-28_18-25-46.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 443
  • photo_2020-02-28_18-25-48.jpg
    photo_2020-02-28_18-25-48.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 443
Back