Very stuck campag bottom bracket (Solved)

Re: Very stuck campag bottom bracket

Hey Keith - just what I said, but more concise.
Of course we could just have advised,

Lefty loosey ,
Righty tighty!

Regards,
Robin.

What I would do (have done with Shimano type square taper BBs) in the absence of a nicely secured bench vice:
1 Remove cable guide and turn frame over, so resting on BB shell and bottom of head tube, preferably on a plank of wood or similar.
2 as others suggest use a decent socket style tool, not the bendy POS Park tool, and retain it with a crank bolt.
3 using a very long adjustable spanner on the socket, at an angle above horizontal but well below vertical and pointed towards the front of the frame, straddle frame to steady it with your knees and push down on spanner with body weight.
4 attend A&E for treatment of face-plant injuries ;-)

Re:

I had the devil of a job removing same type of Campag BB from a well-used Gazelle 731os Exception.

I purchased the Cyclus tool (just checked: mine says Cyclo). Fitted perfectly. Then used BB bolt and some washers to securely attach the removal tool to the BB so couldn't slip off. After a few puny efforts on my part asked whichever son was around and who'd spent hours in the gym honing muscles to have a go.

I did offer various extensions for the socket but he seemed to barely flex his arm before it was loose. My huffy protestations that I must have already loosened it went unheeded.

Good luck

Add use of strong beverage to above list. Triple shot of neat Pernod for example.

Add a dose of anger too while you're at it. Sometimes it is a suitable replacement for a shoddy technique :LOL:

Woz":2ato4rk3 said:
Add use of strong beverage to above list. Triple shot of neat Pernod for example.
What an excellent idea! I have often wondered what to do with the disgusting stuff when it gets left behind after parties, so am delighted to hear of this use as a releasing agent. Does it work on stuck seat posts as well?

Woz":x27vt9iu said:
Add a dose of anger too while you're at it. Sometimes it is a suitable replacement for a shoddy technique :LOL:
Umm, me + red mist + lump hammer & cold chisel or mini grinder within reach,.... Not a good scenario :shock:

Re:

Thank you everyone for your suggestions.

Robin: In the 1st photo I was pulling on the tool arm which should be undo but thanks for clarifying it's easy to get muddled when the frame is upside down.

Speaking of frames, it's a Ribble in 631 and the bb cups are stamped 1.30x24 which is English right?

I shall buy one of those cylco tools as suggested and give it another go. Still disappointed in the quality of the park tool though.

Back