Veganism

Re:

Ah... I guess you are thinking of the famous version he recorded with that octet backing group- the 'Mastic Eight'...?

The History Man":jv6rlxbo said:
Bloody weirder than I thought, the pair of you.

Each to their own, live and let live, unless I'm eating it.

Coming from you?

Mike

Re:

So then, if all the animals destined for the dinner table market were humanely raised, respectfully treated, and considerately slaughtered such that any decent person would be okay with the procedure from beginning to end, how many of you would still remain steadfast on a vegetarian diet?

Re: Re:

al":2zquqzeu said:
Good work.

I've been veggie for 28 years and have flirted with going vegan, but I'm weak.

Good luck, and maybe one day I'll join you.

al.

+1

Will be interested to know how you get on with veganism HB. Don't know how leather goods come into it though. Never having eaten footwear, I suppose I wouldn't! Are the animals treated differently for leather making that eating?

Mike

Mike Muz 67":15q5ylah said:
The History Man":15q5ylah said:
Bloody weirder than I thought, the pair of you.

Each to their own, live and let live, unless I'm eating it.

Coming from you?

Mike

What about you. Daughter stalker ! :mrgreen:

If veganism is a full rejection of animal products. that includes types of glue, leather, clothing, £5 notes and so on.

I doubt its possible to follow it strictly these days

I cant go vegan anyway, what the hell am I supposed to put on my cornflakes or beans on toast?

Re:

k-rod":1ozjpl27 said:
So then, if all the animals destined for the dinner table market were humanely raised, respectfully treated, and considerately slaughtered such that any decent person would be okay with the procedure from beginning to end, how many of you would still remain steadfast on a vegetarian diet?

When I first became a vegetarian I had the vain conceit that there would be incrementally less suffering in this world as a result of my decision. These days I am mostly convinced that the amount of suffering in the world remains constant, and that the best one can hope for is to displace it spatially or temporally away from oneself.

Therefore I don't think being a vegan or vegetarian removes one from complicity in the violence of this world, which is endemic. Paradoxically, 'decent people' are invariably well-fed people who have either killed their dinner or got someone else to kill it for them. The amount of decency dwindles to almost nothing when those same people are forced by circumstance to do without their dinner for a few days.

I don't think there is any way that civilisation can reconcile the contradictions involved in livestock farming/animal exploitation- the way animals are treated as opposed to the way humans are treated. The very idea that a human is qualitatively different from an 'animal' is itself a product of the carefully cultivated civilised mindset. Any talk of 'treating respectfully' a being that you are planning to eat is self-serving doublethink.

Back