Valves

If you have an angle grinder and an old unused screwdriver, it is possible to make one. I did to remove a schrader valve. I had an old phillips screwdriver and cut the end off. I cut a slot in the end with a 1mm cutting disc. Tried it in the valve and had to make the slot a little wider. It went over the inner part of the valve ok, but I had to make the screwdriver shaft slightly thinner to go into the outer part of the valve. Saves having to buy one just for one job and may not be used again for a long time.
I remember getting the valve remover dust cap with inner tubes in the 70's. I think they were on the inner tubes so the inner valve could be removed and a woods type valve used instead.

Its weird how everyone keeps posting up Schrader stuff. Tubs tend to come with presta valves.... http://www.worldclasscycles.com/valve_tool1.jpg or you could just use a small pair of pliers.

Extensions are either threaded into where the core goes (and the core is added to the end of the extension) or threaded over the valve (and the core sits inside the extension, and is left open). Either should be easily removeable with the small pliers.

Here is the extension

I do not want to mess about with this too much as the tyre is worth some money.

Richard

The silver extension should just unscrew from the stem. If its got flats on it, small pliers will help. If no flats, you may still need the small pliers, just grip lightly tho! It's a very small thread, in brass, so unless they've glued it in it shouldn't take much to get it out. You'll need to hold the stem too, so it doesn't twist/damage the innertube.
The threaded bit next to the valve tip may well have two flats on it as well, if it does, you can unscrew that from the extension, and use it in the stem. Or just get a new one (they were about 10p from the LBS last time i bought any)

Thanks for that. I am pretty sure it is not glued as there is plumbers tape (i think) around the join.

Richard

Yup, thats a common trick to minimise the tightening torque. Some of the more expensive extenders have a ring of teflon to help with sealing.

Latest posts

Back