V Brakes vs disc brakes - cost comparison

+1
I can get my cross bike up on the front wheel on its "rubbish" cantis with one finger...........

Re:

But they don't stay that way do they ;-)

I can set a canti up to send you over the bars with the best of them but any rim brake will need repeated fettling to account for pad wear to keep them sweet, it's less pronounced with V brakes due to the geometry and easier to set them up so you don't have to be good and well practised.

I'd sill rather set up the v brakes as it's quicker, easier and stays performing better for longer, it's nothing go to do with not being able to set cantis up, it's just less time consuming both initially and ongoing.

Discs are another step altogether, set the up properly once, never have to readjust, and they self adjust for pad wear, why wouldn't you want more time riding and less time spannering?

V's and cantis use the same stud ?

So (if using the same rim) the position of the pivot and the pad must be the same ?

So if those two points are fixed, how can v's stay in adjustment longer than cantis ?

I accept that parallel push v's don't follow the above, but for anything else your going to have to convince me otherwise ... :D

WD :D

Re:

We'll apart from the fact that cantis often use a non-threaded post and vs use a threaded one I know what you're getting at about the pivot being in the same place but pad wear and cable stretch also affect the geometry of the cantilever set up as a whole more so with cantis, as the angle of the straddle is more critical. V brakes do not suffer that problem as much.

I'm not saying cantis can't be made to work well, they absolutely can, but the need more care and attention to do so, and more looking after and adjustment to stay that way. Personally I prefer the feel and modulation of decent cantis, but you can't really argue that it's not quicker, easier, and less maintenance with v brakes.

Re: Re:

amedias":2v27s2pw said:
why wouldn't you want more time riding and less time spannering?

Some people actually like spannering, especially on Retrobike :)

And to be perfectly honest, the extra 3 minutes it takes once a fortnight to keep them running nicely fades into insignificance when you consider the hour or so it takes to get the rest of the fleet clean and serviced

^^^^ in theory yes. In practce you realise the cantis or vs need adjust out when riding so you lose riding time.

Re:

I'm one of those people that enjoys spannering, but I still wouldn't put 'because they need regular maintenance' in the 'pro' column of cantis when weighing up the options.

Anyway, the OP was supposed to be about an overall cost comparison of V Brakes vs Disc, and one thing none of us have touched on is the cost of your time, if you're lucky enough to be a man or lady of leisure it might be nothing, on the other hand if you're a one armed mechanical disaster zone it might be quite important to you to keep your bike out of the local bike shop

02gf74":1h0armqj said:
^^^^ in theory yes. In practce you realise the cantis or vs need adjust out when riding so you lose riding time.
that's what the three minutes is for, so they don't need adjusting (on 99% of rides).

Back