V Brakes vs disc brakes - cost comparison

ultrazenith

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
A question I've been pondering lately, is whether v brakes work out cheaper than disc brakes (or vice versa) in the long run. Obviously, v-brakes are cheaper to buy than a reasonable set of discs (like Deore), and probably slightly lighter.

But how about the longer term costs? V brakes need pads replaced about twice a year (in my case), and v brakes eventually wear through the rims, requiring the expense of a new wheel, or at least a new rim.

Do disc pads last longer? How often do discs need to be serviced at the LBS? How long do decent MTB wheels last when freed from the pressure of being worn down by the brake pads?

Perhaps is one of those 'how long is a piece of string' type questions, but nonetheless I'd be really interested to hear the opinions of others. Of course, I understand that all other things ignored, a good set of disc brakes will be marginally better than a good, well set-up set of v brakes, but that's not the question I'd like to discuss right now.

All a bit irrelevant really as it's not exactly the criteria for choosing one over the other? :) Disc brakes never need servicing apart from a fluid change (every few years in my case) and why pay a dealer to do this, all you need is a piece of clear tubing, wrench and the fluid.

In regular X-country use the pads last eons and only cost the same as decent V brake pads anyway. Disc brakes are so much better in virtually all respects not least feel and effortlessness at the lever due to being hydraulic.

Different matter of course if we're talking retro and the correct 'look'.

Having said all that I have run for 8 years exactly the same set-up on my main bike (Chameleon) with M755 4 pot XT disc front and XTR V rear. Owned the 4 pot from new around 13 years ago and it's still working perfectly. Reason I'm running a V out back is that the old ('99) Chameleon with bolt on disc adapter is a PITA with singlespeed + I occasionally run it fixed with a bolt on cog.

Thanks for the reply, Max. I agree that cost itself isn't the whole reason to choose one or the other. Since you mention using disc on the front and V on the rear, I'd like to ask whether the difference in effort, power and modulation of those two different brakes was easy to get used to? I imagine you'd need to be careful not to pull the front brake as hard as the rear, especially when doing sudden emergency braking (the same goes for v brakes front and rear, but in that case the difference in power between the front and rear is smaller).

TBH I don't really think about it - as you know the front is for stopping/hard braking really, rear for scrubbing off speed, control in corners etc so they always need a different 'touch', the rear is always easy to lock up (V or disc) as it's typically un-weighted, I think you just get used to anything in set-up very quickly.

You can get a passable set of disc wheels for 200 quid, an excellent set of discs for about 150. (SLX for instance).
With general XC use and proper set up, theyll need new fluid every couple of years (pennies if you DIY), new pads yearly (£30 a set if you get OE pads, less if you shop around), New discs every 3 or 4 years (maybe 40 a pair? Unless you get posh discs).
And tbh other than that, you're more likely to upgrade than break them or wear anything irreplaceable out.

For comparison, I used to go through two or possibly 3 rims a year, plus rebuild costs, about 70 quid a time. Give or take. Set of pads every couple of months, £20. New cables twice a year, £30.

I reckon there will be a few (40-50?) quid in it over say, 5 years but not much more than that.

And not forgetting, discs work in all conditions.

They may only be marginally better than Vs in the dry, but once you add in ham fisted mechanics, bad weather, 2 months without adjustment. I can assure you, even badly set up discs will be far better than Vs.

Personally, I've found v-brakes to be cheaper to run.

V-brakes. I've only ever worn through one set of rims in 20+ years of biking. Pads tend to last around a year - and a set costs about the same as disc.

Disc brakes. Resin pads last about 3 months. Sintered about 5 months. Only had to bleed once, and the rotors haven't worn out.

For me, I find disc brakes - particularly the rear - a real hassle compared with v-brakes. For some reason my rear ones keep glazing over and producing horrible vibrating shudders and groans under heavy braking. I get about a 100 miles before the problems come back. Front are fine.

V-brakes are considerably cheaper on the £/gram front in terms of initial outlay. Disc brakes give better performance in more conditions.

The other problem I find with disc brakes on the front is that they have a tendency to chew up tubes. Basically the valve gets cut by the rim under heavy braking.

For me, I think the best combination will probably be disc at the front, and v at the rear.

it all depends how often you use the bike/brakes and under what conditions.
I've had pads (disc and rim) last a couple of years, or a few rides if in boggy, muddy or sandy conditions.
I find hydraulic discs easier to maintain, more powerful, lighter in action, so I don't mind a higher initial cost given those benefits. Of course, they don't suit every bike, so like elastomer suspension sometimes you have to take the rough with the smooth when it comes to retrobikes and retro parts.

Cost wise.... I don't think there's much in it after say 5 years of use, the higher initial cost of the discs is offset by needing new rims for the V-brakes etc...

mattr":2qaqr93n said:
You can get a passable set of disc wheels for 200 quid, an excellent set of discs for about 150. (SLX for instance).

Does your LBS have big windows? Coz they've seen you coming!

£100 for 'passable' disc wheels and sub £100 for a set of SLX disc us daily achievable with a little shopping around.

To the OP, if you're factoring in rim wear, cable replacements etc then discs will probably be the cheaper option but as previously mentioned, price isn't going to be the deciding factor for 99% of people.

Nope, I haven't bought a set of discs or wheels for 4 or 5 years now, they just last! So have no handle on what they actually cost now. Though I very much doubt £100 will get you wheels that would be anything other than cheap and nasty. My last set of cheap wheels (half price at ~ £85) were shocking. Hubs were brinnelled within the week, wheels were out of true within a month.

Not what I'd expect from shimano TBH.

And I don't have an LBS. Just a couple of specialized warehouses. Consequently, my bike shopping is 99% online.

Back