V-Brake with cantilever straddle hack

Titiritero

Retro Guru
Seen today on the street. No idea about the safety of it, but I give the owner 5 stars for ingenuity. The bike is an old Wheeler with the welded noodle for cantilever cables instead of a cable stop, so I guess that's the reason for the hack...

IMG_20230718_205915.jpg

Last edited:
If they are aiming to give the rim a light tickle then that's a superb engineering solution.

As for stopping the bike, well that's another matter.

I'm guessing it retains short pull brake levers, in which case that's even less effective than the abomination we can see in the pictures.

Please tell me the front brake wasn't set up the same.

Grumps

well thats erm.
well er.

I was always taught that if you couldn't say anything nice, don't say anything.
so yer. there it is. it's there alright.

If they are aiming to give the rim a light tickle then that's a superb engineering solution.

As for stopping the bike, well that's another matter.
Quite. Better to have a rear luggage rack with an anvil on some chain. When you need to stop, kick the anvil off the rack.

Ahhhh @Shaggy1979 , it seems your method of v brakes has cought on.

There is literally no way that works, the arms of the v brakes are way too long to give any mechanical advantage so you’ll just be left with levers from sponge town.

And what stops the left v brake coming apart from the straddle cable from being kicked or something?

Honestly mate ot was just to get the bike mobile with what parts I had available to me
To be honest there's not much sensitivity adjustment but of its set up it stops better than average
But I have either loads of pre v brake components or hope hydraulic so as pic shows that's what I did
I almost filed down kool stop cantilever blocks to make em fit the v brakes
The forum would have lost there minds

Back