Unofficial retrobike allotment thread....

Re:

Ok, what's this then? Spider?

9d6a0b04dbf8112bd048b9df9e3c5745_zpsncb9iayn.jpg

Re:

I don't really do spiders (eek!) but have developed an acceptance of them. Can't be sure but the shape of the body and the way the legs are seem to look like it.

Re:

Working on the Lord's day, for a customer that has an allotment at a National Trust place, as they're away walking through Scotland or some such... :facepalm:

Paid, I hasten to add, with access to a NT tea room so lots of cake and tea consumed obviously....brilliant day! Weeded a fair bit and edged this old plot, when they took it on was all nettles and brambles.

Attachments

• Lytes Cary 005.JPG
    Lytes Cary 005.JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 5,053
  • Lytes Cary 004.JPG
    Lytes Cary 004.JPG
    76.4 KB · Views: 5,053
Re:

That looks like a nice gig and a nice bit of dry stone walling too – hope you had copious servings of tea and cake :)

All looking good so far. I think something is having a go at my Sweet Peppers, might be pigeons so have built a protective shelter around them to keep them out.

Re: A good year for fruit.

Not posted here for a while.
Cracking year for fruit.Freezer chocker block.
Misses bakes a lovely apple cake .Cookers size of cannon balls :shock:
Hows you all done?

Re:

Likewise – it's been quite a couple of years!

Aside of the usual annual calamities getting in the way of making progress on the allotment, this year has been good for soft fruit, rhubarb, onions, spuds, apples and tomatoes.

The weather was erratic again early at the start of the growing season but things caught up and got going. Feel that there's been a shift in the timing of the seasons and feel that Autumn is already amongst us with a bumper crop of cooking apples – already made some apple stew.

Have got the shallots, onions and garlics in storage now after a steady drying time in the top of an open mini greenhouse. And had a steady useful harvest of varieties of tomatoes and even managed to get some interesting purple peppers this year.

I'm starting to put the plot to bed now and sowing green manures where there's no crops. Hoping to get some Kale and other brassicas in also.

Attachments

• toms up close.jpeg
    toms up close.jpeg
    87.6 KB · Views: 4,211
  • tom selection.jpeg
    tom selection.jpeg
    153.3 KB · Views: 4,211
  • toms x2.jpeg
    toms x2.jpeg
    88.9 KB · Views: 4,211
  • shallots.jpeg
    shallots.jpeg
    254.7 KB · Views: 4,211
Re:

Not so well with our sweet corn this year .The dry June was the problem.
Last year about about 30 cobs ready . Left them one last week whilst we went way at the end of September .Squirrels scoffed the lot. :shock: :facepalm:

Back