Unofficial retrobike allotment thread....

TheGreenRabbit":3uloh1yg said:
OK its about time for some thread resurrection, what you planning on growing this year ?

1 - Sweet Peas, I will be starting to bread my own variety of sweet pea

2 - Chillis 3 variates, but will choose ones we are going to eat, rather than the stupidly hot ones like the nargas

3 - I want to try the other Sarpo variatys, had great results with Sarpo Mira this year. mixed range of sizes, but very blight resistant.

Sounds good to me. I've managed to save my plot from the zealous clutches of our council, so now I'm drafting up a new layout and planting plan and looking forward to the year ahead. Have just bought the first few of our spuds – Red Duke of York and Pink Fir Apple so far. Looking forward to getting out to some potato day events too. I'm also preparing Jerusalem Artichoke tubers for replanting – now the 13th generation on from the same dozen I first planted in 2001. Have been getting onion sets into modules too. Will be planting some Sea Buckthorn this year to extend our native British fruiting hedgerow collection.

We have just acquired an allotment! Looking forward to getting stuck in and getting it dug over once the weather has dried a bit. It's only a half plot should be enough to get us started. At our old house we used to grow veg in pots and containers but our new place is not suitable.

Hopefully going to start this year with; potatoes, red onions, beetroot, carrots, runner beans and french beans.

Well done REKIborter, I have just droped back to a half plot a full plot was to much for me to look after properly, is it close to the house ? I find its a great place for a quite beer !

Been doing a bit of digging between the heavy rain showers. Still the better side of the plot to do but it should only involve weeding. Need to get the fencing done before spring so that will be my next project.

Attachments

• before.jpg
    before.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 293
  • after.jpg
    after.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 293
Was an allotment holder for 5 years. Now we have 100foot rear garden, so use some of that.
Here's some photos from last year

Attachments

• DSCF0001.JPG
    DSCF0001.JPG
    107.4 KB · Views: 268
  • DSCF0055.JPG
    DSCF0055.JPG
    118.7 KB · Views: 268
  • DSCF0056.JPG
    DSCF0056.JPG
    107.5 KB · Views: 268
  • DSCF0057.JPG
    DSCF0057.JPG
    118.1 KB · Views: 268
  • Toms and sweetcorn.JPG
    Toms and sweetcorn.JPG
    118.5 KB · Views: 268
Oh, and we grow chillies too. Had 75 plants last year, always grow to give away. all varieties from chinense through to milder varieties. Here's one of our caribbean red hot plants from last year :)

Attachments

• CARABEAN RED HOT.JPG
    CARABEAN RED HOT.JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 267
Plans for this year.

Structural plans: Actually get the entire allotment dug, put up a perimeter fence.

Growing plans: Cougette (Gold Rush and Parador f1) Mange Tout (Purple), Summer squash (varieties yet to be chosen) Butternut, Potatoes, Leeks, Swede, Carrots, Beetroot, Onion, Cabbage, Runner beans, Tall pea, Purple Sprouting, Raddish, lettuce. And probably other things as I remember them. I have a double allotment plot plus a half sized allotment plot in the garden, So loads of space :p

Latest posts

Back