Univega Boralyn

The owner of the LBS I frequented had one of these BITD. It was stiff as heck, too stiff. Not sure if that was the reason he parted with it, or the frame broke. I always wondered what the fuss was about, couldn't afford one anyways, so I stuck to my Zaskar.

@Caj Remtiw What was your concrete involvement? Design and Development of what?

Gosh, it was "all over the map". Bicycle parts they were trying to interest brands in. Golf club heads they were trying to interest brands in. Mechanics tools they were trying to interest brands in. Tooling/ fixturing/ processes for manufacturing. Designing & milling forging die sets. Baby sitting their in-house team of design nitwits. Then finding them REAL professionals to replace Robyn's collection of "star'y eyed YES-BOYS".

The place was a glamores KOOKFEST!

What company was producing than the frames for Univega?

Sorry, frankly I don't remember because by that time it was obvious they were attempting to sell a Yugo dressed like a Ferrari! If I were to guess it was probably one of the smaller BMX fabricators in Santa Ana (like SE or Voris Dixon), or down in one of the BMX "sweat shops" down in Tijuana.

Writing this brings back old memories! My best friend somehow got hired by the law firm for the investors and through the process of liquidating the assets... Ended up with Robyns CEO desk and desk chair ($$$ money). Every time I visit his house, I start cracking up when I walk into his office!

Back