Univega Boralyn

A Concept USA Amp F1 fork has come up on Ebay .... a bit pricey for the condition though and I think I'd prefer the F3.

What size seat clamp do I need for this frame? And is there anything else I should consider while looking for a seat clamp?
Hi, I do have a Tune Würger clamp in size 31.8mm which fits pretty nicely
1689594572753.jpeg

Indeed the seat post is with 26.6mm an uncommon size.

If interesting for you, I could offer you an bronze-colored AMP with long steerer.
Here's a preview pic.
AMP F3.jpg
Just let me know via PM if I should show or share more details with you.

Hi, I do have a Tune Würger clamp in size 31.8mm which fits pretty nicely
View attachment 759942

Indeed the seat post is with 26.6mm an uncommon size.

If interesting for you, I could offer you an bronze-colored AMP with long steerer.
Here's a preview pic.
View attachment 759943
Just let me know via PM if I should show or share more details with you.

Thank you. I feel like I should put Amp forks on it, but I am not really sure. I will think about it ..... I probably should have consiered this so it could have all been sent together.

Thank you for confirming the clamp size. I have had a few 26.6 mm posts and I still have a very nice Tioga one. I tested it and it felt like there was a little more movement than I expected, but a 26.8 was too tight. 26.7 do exist! I had one on a Fisher. They are too rare though and finding a decent one would be nigh on impossible. I can use the Tioga one as a stand in, but it doesn't really feel like it fits with the direction this build is going.

No luck in finding any bouncy fork for this, but some progress nonetheless. I now have a very nice rigid Spinner fork to build it up with until I find a suspension fork I like.

Low stack headset is on the way and huge thanks to @carlhcyc for the karma seatpost, which is perfect for what will be a mainly USA build:

Progress Dec 2023.JPG

I'll need to pick up the wheels and dig the chainset out of storage. Hopefully I have a bottom bracket, then I will just need to think about the remaining decisions.

FYI: Boralyn was a TOTAL technical/ financial SCAM! Robin Carden was a shyster & crook, he scammed everybody from the widow of the original creator of the material to a bunch of "hip" tech investors in south Orange County, CA! Then Robin rode "it" as hard, fast, and far as he could... Then split for a foreign county in the middle of night!
Personally, I can't complain because I made a lot of money doing design/ development for them ( and made sure to invoice at the end of every week), but there were a lot of "players" that got REALLY their knickers in a twist!

FYI: Boralyn was a TOTAL technical/ financial SCAM! Robin Carden was a shyster & crook, he scammed everybody from the widow of the original creator of the material to a bunch of "hip" tech investors in south Orange County, CA! Then Robin rode "it" as hard, fast, and far as he could... Then split for a foreign county in the middle of night!
Personally, I can't complain because I made a lot of money doing design/ development for them ( and made sure to invoice at the end of every week), but there were a lot of "players" that got REALLY their knickers in a twist!
Interesting information, thank you.

If you're an insider, please tell us more...
So far there are a lot of rumors and stories (i know someone who knows someone which had a Boralyn back in time but this got broken or recalled, etc.).
Sure, there had been obviously broken Boralyn frames.

Let's try to assort some facts:

Robin Carden was the founder of Alyn Corporation

Alyn was producing the Boralyn Tubes and sold it to Univega

Boralyn Industry, Trade, and Technology Review.png

snippet of a technical book from 1994
https://books.google.de/books?id=-r...13#v=onepage&q=univega boralyn weight&f=false

What company was producing than the frames for Univega?

@Caj Remtiw What was your concrete involvement? Design and Development of what?

And maybe the biggest miracle, how many frames have been ever produced, how many bikes sold?
Why it was just sold for a very limited period of time?
Some may say because the frames broke, but maybe - and i think you're also hinting in that way - maybe also financial wise production costs got out of control and to expensive.

BTW: with regards to the consistency, here's some more information in a Master Thesis from MIT 1993:

A Case Study for Duralcan Metal Matrix Composites - Boralyn.png

https://dspace.mit.edu/bitstream/handle/1721.1/32141/31764077-MIT.pdf?

Any more information and prove points are helpful.

Watching this one with interest. Univegas to me are one of those brands unjustly ignored - the ones I have ridden always felt really realy good. My wife rode an Alu 800 for years - alas the frame has cracked behind the head tube.

Back