unexpected day off baiku!! now with added iow baiku!

jonnyboy666

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
finally managed to get a day back that i was owed :D (although i had to go in on sunday to make it possible :x , so i didn't really get the day back!) getting the days owed from my boss is like the blood and stone thing, still have a week owed from last years holiday!

anyway, i digress. since this leaves me with 2 days off coz tomorrow is my normal day off :D i thought i'd try and do a proper ride both days! this time of year (winter :( ) i struggle to convince myself to stay on the bike for more than an hour or so i decided to make myself do it. aiming for 40 miles!
left the house at 1pm, headed for "kings copse" a half mile away, straight onto the trails, few ups and downs, trying to get my breathing right, totally didn't! wheezing like an asmatic old biddy! sorted myself, hit the road to beaulieu and then picked up trails to brockenhurst, riders in the distance, gotta have em . . . did, then kept the pace up, gotta leave 'em standing otherwise they'll catch me back up and i hate that! you look like a knob if you can't keep the pace and they overtake you! go through a gate to brockenhurst, avoid the road, pick up a trail to lyndhurst, more up and down than i remember but nail it just to get the hill out of the way, go through next gate, see a customer (bugger!) thank god i'm not in shop kit, he would have recognised me and he's hardwork! nail it past him, keep going, it's a fast downhill, past some people walking a dog, let them know i'm coming by locking the back wheel momenterrily, it worked, they scatter like pigeons! only the dog is chasing!!!! big thing aswel! dog loses interest, just aswel, uphill now and legs are tiring! she sells sanctuary comes on the ipod, cool, love the track, pick up the trails back to beaulieu, managed to stay pretty much offroad for most of the ride! legs are dying, don't take the short cut! you'll regret it! come out of the enclosure through a dodgy housing estate, pick up a trail back to kings copse and home via a nice little jump i noticed on the way out! 37miles on the speedo, gotta be happy with that! :D :D :D

as wu would say "best ride of my life" . . . well so far this year anyway!

isle of wight tomorrow! :D

Attachments

• baiku1.jpg
    baiku1.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 1,362
  • baiku2.jpg
    baiku2.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 1,362
  • baiku3.jpg
    baiku3.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 1,362
lucky b*gger! very envious - I love the paint scheme on those Oranges. Tempted to have my very drab grey P7 sprayed those colours.

2 days together is so rare for me! thought i'd do a local ride coz you always forget how good your local trails are, always convincing yourself that you "have to" go to afan or wherever to get a good ride. this was cheaper!! :D

isle of wight tomorrow, ferry is only 10miles away, £11 crossing though! for 3 miles of water! always get off the other side with a sore bum before i start riding! :oops:

got some good hills there! baiku photos tomorrow! :D

phone bob jackson for that paint, he's poo hot!

right then! isle of wight baiku!!! 2 days riding in a row!! :D :D :D

load up the bike on to car, head off to lymington for the ferry, £11 crossing for me and the bike, like i said in the earlier post, sore bum already!! :shock:

pick up the coastal trail straight out of yarmounth and along the beachfront then onto a trail that leads up to a viewpoint over looking hurst castle that juts out in to the solent, see picture, carry on through cool bit of trail between 2 fences and out onto a road to lead up on to headon warren, old burial ground or something, quite high up, about to descend down into alum bay, nasty little descent on loose gravel that is quite eroded and different everytime i ride it, bum off the back of saddle, clear it easily this time but think about how many times it's had me before! carry on to alum bay and climb up to the viewpoint over looking the "needles" (bits of rock stuck out at the end of the island) wind has been against me all the way so far making every climb a sod, that is about to change, do a u turn on the climb, see the photo of a uturn road, carries on up, higher gear than expected coz wind is now behind me, over gated fence and onto an open field on top of the hill, floor it to the next gate and climb up to the tennyson monument, short stop followed by a fast descent down into freshwater bay, sort of descent that has loads of little fast jumps, you know the sort, not high but long and fast, smile factor is great, speedo reading 31mph wind assisted, nice. over fence saying don't cross, grass descent with 2 trails, safe and near cliff edge, cliff edge it is! going a bit fast but brakes working well, cool. climb out of freshwater and up on to golf course, where the 70's iow festival was, keep climbing till the top and do a uturn to pick up a bouncy descent back to freshwater then back along the causeway to a waiting ferry. perfect! :D :D

more pics to follow

Attachments

• iow resize1.jpg
    iow resize1.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 1,310
  • iow resize2.jpg
    iow resize2.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 1,310
  • iow resize3.jpg
    iow resize3.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 1,310
  • iow resize4.jpg
    iow resize4.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 1,310
more pics! :D

Attachments

• iow resize5.jpg
    iow resize5.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 1,309
  • iow resize6.jpg
    iow resize6.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 1,309
  • iow resize7.jpg
    iow resize7.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 1,309
  • iow resize8.jpg
    iow resize8.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 1,309
and on the way home! love the cows! they piss so many people off! :LOL: ahh, the new forest!

Attachments

• iow resize9.jpg
    iow resize9.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 1,302
  • iow resize10.jpg
    iow resize10.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 1,302
  • iow resize11.jpg
    iow resize11.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 1,302
I'm very jealous, I used to live on the Island and there is some great riding there, I live don the East coast and you can pretty much ride off-road all the way across the island to the west and back. Ever done the 7/14 hills challenge?

yep, it's a monster! did it in the winter, it was horrible!!!! keep meaning to do the summer but work always gets in the way. :(

one day.

Jonny, I am jealous!
I love the IOW, I took the family there last summer, and we're off there again in May.
I saw your pic near the Needles, just about where I took my pic! :cool: Lovely area.
Sadly, I wont be taking my bike as its a family holiday, but I would LOVE an Retrobike meet there sometime!!

Attachments

• IOW.JPG
    IOW.JPG
    14.6 KB · Views: 1,271
Back