Unbuilding a wheel safely

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
I bought a wheel for the hub, a hope ti glide I think it is, to body, black flanges, later version with the green hope logo on the ti tube.

I've been after something like it for some time as a mate for a pace carbon front hub.

I want to make sure I don't harm it when separating it from the rim and spokes.

Is the best approach to loosen opposite spokes gradually? Work my way around sequentially? I know cutting the spokes is a bad idea, just want to make sure the hub survives intact as I have some NOS 717s waiting for building with it and the pace.

1/4 turn to undo and just work your way around from valve hole to valve hole one spoke after the other. Dont try to undo more than a 1/4 and you should be alright.

Mind and do a spray of GT or something on the nipple. Its likely been sitting a while and they do corrode in there.
Also watch out for twisting spokes, if you feel the spoke beginning to twist, hold it in the jaws of pliers as you turn the spoke key.

100% with dyna ti, done it like this numerous times and will be doing the same when some wheels arrive for rc50 hubs. Take your time and have pot for the nipples, they're a bugger to find if they roll away haha

Spray the nipples just because. Mainly from the top.
Wait a bit.

Then get your drill with a large flat head...

Just go around the rim a bit at a time.
Sometimes this bit is easier with a spoke key, just to slacken a turn/half turn off or so until the tension drops...

Then just go for it one spoke at a time, drill makes life quick and easy and can get the nipple off in one go, let them drop on the floor if needed.

Have fun, some nipples might be buggers.
Just spoke key them if needed.

If you're lucky spokes might be the right length. I still find it easier to take them out and start again.

……….shuffles off to the corner
Last set I did was with the angle grinder over the wheelie bin, gloves and glasses……they were seized solid though.

As others have said, drop of your penetrant of choice at the top of the nipple. The ones I’ve done have all needed a spoke key to start them off then a driver or drill to do the donkey work. Sometimes if they are seized then tightening them up a fraction of a turn first then untightening gets them started.

Last option is chop of course.

Here hopes are a bit fragile, rear tend to be better.

But a chap on here sold me a fatso (long time back) and he chopped the spokes to get it off the rim, as soon as they where chopped it was good by fatso, crackerty crack.

Lucky for me a few weeks back it was plain sailing delacing from an M737 and a drill/driver. It's so nice when that happens.

Last set I did was with the angle grinder over the wheelie bin, gloves and glasses……they were seized solid though.
That was my plan in order to free up an old Sturmey Archer 3 speed to lace into an old Araya for a woods bike. Is there a reason for me not to chop the spokes, or is it simply because that Hope ti hub deserves more delicate treatment? I've never done wheel building, so I might go with the more involved process anyway, just to get my hands into it, plus add some spokes to my stash in the process

Always just gone round the wheel with a decent spoke key and loosened off a spoke at a time, just a bit at first like the first posts, then go back round and take off the nipples from one side, i then push the remaining spokes through the rims, all as one by the hub, i find the nipples much easier to undo once away from sitting on the rim.

That was my plan in order to free up an old Sturmey Archer 3 speed to lace into an old Araya for a woods bike. Is there a reason for me not to chop the spokes, or is it simply because that Hope ti hub deserves more delicate treatment? I've never done wheel building, so I might go with the more involved process anyway, just to get my hands into it, plus add some spokes to my stash in the process
Chop em be done with it..unless there really nice spokes from a wheel that's obviously done very little...forged hubs or steel hubs can deal with it....delicate dainty flowery little CNC hubs don't like being upset....imagine busting a spoke or two whilst riding on one...🤨

Back