UK trail bike. The story of an XCT5.

Quality. Those original Turbines were ace and really really tough too...I knew plenty of guys who used them in DH bikes and one who still does.

This last week has seen some far from settled weather, but I have managed a few rides. Both weekends saw a visit to the Forest of Dean, and I only just remembered to take a pic at the top of the last DH section this afternoon.

2eb02825997dfd60039cbc75927742bd_zpsb8f492a2.jpg

No complaints from the bike as such, apart from the rear quick release may not have been done up tight enough as the wheel had moved quite a bit in the frame at the bottom of this downhill section. I thought the axle may have snapped which I have seen in the past with first generation pro2 hubs, but having taken it to bits just now all seems well.

Lucky you getting out...I was supposed to go out today but is peed it down this morning so I opted ran early Sunday dinner. Now it's bloody sunny!

What's the riding like at the FoD? Is it worth a trip down there?

:) The Forest of Dean is good, certainly if you know where you are going you can ride for days, but we only keep to the way marked trails. Is it worth travelling to from Tamworth? Maybe. I'm only 25 miles away so its pretty local.

We generally do two laps of the blue route if its wet or old, but in the summer we mix in the red route too, and add in some parts of the DH trails too.

The last of the components arrived this week for the new wheels, got around to building them today.

_DSC00014-1_zps9f1141ed.jpg

Not fitted to the bike yet, I am going ten speed at the same time and those parts have started to arrive too.

:)

Now, the brakes on the bike at the moment are borrowed from my Cotic. They are Hope tech X2's and normally perform faultlessly. I have been a fan of Hope kit for years, and dont usually have a problem with braking power/performance. After a mid week night ride this week I noticed that the rear brake was pretty poor, so investigated.

The pads were shot which was a surprise as the pads were new only in November, and they had worn unevenly. Closer inspection revealed that the rear discmount/dropout has some over hanging weld that was interfering with the disc mount. I rode the bike, mud and all into the LBS this afternoon and used the disc facing tool to straighten things out.

C321C8CC-6998-458B-9208-B2E36DF48B39-1216-00000083543A1850_zpsd9e02324.jpg

Please forgive the dodgy iphone image, its all i had to hand. You can clearly see there was alot of material in the way. A new set of pads later and braking is back to normal. :)

Back