UK trail bike. The story of an XCT5.

Exactly. The climb was always rooty&rocky, but I'd heard stories about how bad it had become. It's the same as it always was, technical.

If I'm honest, I think I might keep the gold hubs on this, sell the blue ones either as hubs or full wheels and just get some new hubs.

I hate blue.

Anyway, the bike is apart, again, completely. Just like last year. I'm waiting for my new frame to arrive from Lynskey, and I'm riding my Curtis alot at the moment. The Foes was starting to make some real noises, so a service at least was on the cards. So far, everything apart from the forks are clean and checked for wear, the forks I will tackle next weekend. The only thing to note is that I have a problem with the rear wheel, I will post up the situation once I have fixed it.

Same, pretty much as last year. 2.5wt oil, 10mm IFP height when compressed, careful bleeding. I ended the year with pretty high air pressure, 90psi, and will continue with this. Only thing to note is that the internal spacer, that is bonded to the seal head, had become detached. I suspect this was audible when you ride, possibly, and I have changed the type of epoxy used to glue it to see if it lasts any longer? After all, the last time it was glued, it lasted two seasons, and if I'm honest, can I really see me using this bike for more than two seasons further?

I don't know how I missed this thread originally, great build, interesting read!
Forwarded to my brother who also has an XTC, I'm just waiting on the message from him to ask if I can help him rebuild his one so it's as clean and fresh as this :)

Back